Old 25-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Yogi Bear

Default Help please...!

Can you help to identify this plant please ?

There are three photo's here, and the page may take a while to download over
dialup, sorry !

http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/

mtia

Old 25-08-2003, 11:11 AM
Hobby Gardener

Location: Harrow, Middx

Quote:
Originally posted by Yogi Bear
Can you help to identify this plant please ?

There are three photo's here, and the page may take a while to download over
dialup, sorry !

http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/

mtia
Yogi,

You have used absolute links instead of relative (change the option in frontpage express) so the pictures are not showing up.

The three photo's a
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant1.jpg
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant2.jpg
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant3.jpg

but I don't know what it is!
Old 25-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:00:32 +0000 (UTC), "Yogi Bear"
wrote:

Can you help to identify this plant please ?

Nicandra; "shoo-fly plant"
Save seeds from lantern-like pods if you like it.

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-08-2003, 11:42 AM
JennyC

"kevinmiddleton" wrote
Yogi Bear wrote:
*Can you help to identify this plant please ?

There are three photo's here, and the page may take a while to
download over
dialup, sorry !

http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/
mtia *

Yogi,
You have used absolute links instead of relative (change the option

in
frontpage express) so the pictures are not showing up.

The three photo's a
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant1.jpg
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant2.jpg
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant3.jpg

but I don't know what it is!
kevinmiddleton

It's Datura Stramonium or Thornapple.............

http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/401249.htm
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...gi?symbol=DAST

Jenny

Old 25-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Jim W

Yogi Bear wrote:

Can you help to identify this plant please ?

There are three photo's here, and the page may take a while to download over
dialup, sorry !

http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/

mtia

Are in fact
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant1.jpg
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant2.jpg
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant3.jpg

It's Nicandra physaloides;
commonly known as the Shoofly plant (reputed to keep flies away! I never
proved or disproved it either way) or Apple of Peru..

See google for more information!-)

Its in the fammily Solanacaea related to Tomatoes, potatoes and deadly
nightshade.

Seed is available from Chilterns (thats where I got mine!-))

Grows larger than you expect.. I have some in my front garden and they
are now up above the level of the windowsills!.. Still that bed is a
talking point with passers by!-)

If you want faster loading of these images you might consider dropping
your image respolution to 72 ppi (screen resolution) as it is 300ppi at
the moment and you don't gain anything from it on screen. Resizing to
640 by 480 pixels or smaller may also help. Final thing you can do is to
save at a better compression rate with JPEG, say 50% or 70% without
losing much quality..
All these options should be availabe in the program that came with your
camera or on your image editing software.

This will bring the filesize down to around 40 K or less per pic.. Much
more acceptable for downloads!-)
//
Jim

Old 25-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Yogi Bear

"kevinmiddleton" wrote in message
s.com...

--
kevinmiddleton

Thanks for that...

links now sorted.. using notepad ;-)

Old 25-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Yogi Bear

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g08w0i.1biubtfkuzp12N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Yogi Bear wrote:

Can you help to identify this plant please ?

There are three photo's here, and the page may take a while to download

over
dialup, sorry !

http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/

mtia

Are in fact
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant1.jpg
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant2.jpg
http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/plant3.jpg

It's Nicandra physaloides;
commonly known as the Shoofly plant (reputed to keep flies away! I never
proved or disproved it either way) or Apple of Peru..

Very many thanks, looks like it doesn't it !!??

[...]

Thanks for the advice, I kept them large so that you can 'zoom' them, and
posted a warning !!

They are resized from the camera, you'd still be downloading otherwise ;-)

Old 25-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , JennyC
writes

"kevinmiddleton" wrote
Yogi Bear wrote:
*Can you help to identify this plant please ?

There are three photo's here, and the page may take a while to
download over
dialup, sorry !

http://www.codot.co.uk/plant/
mtia *

It's Datura Stramonium or Thornapple.............

http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/401249.htm
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...gi?symbol=DAST

No, it's not, It's Shoo-fly - Nicandra physaloides. Chinese lantern
style seed pods rather than thorny apples. Same family, though.

I've got one on my terrace atm!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 25-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article 1g08w0i.1biubtfkuzp12N%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net
, Jim W writes
Its in the fammily Solanacaea related to Tomatoes, potatoes and deadly
nightshade.

Seed is available from Chilterns (thats where I got mine!-))

Grows larger than you expect.. I have some in my front garden and they
are now up above the level of the windowsills!.. Still that bed is a
talking point with passers by!-)

They also like the heck of a lot of water!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 25-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Jim W

Yogi Bear wrote:

If you want faster loading of these images you might consider dropping
your image respolution to 72 ppi (screen resolution) as it is 300ppi at
the moment and you don't gain anything from it on screen. Resizing to
640 by 480 pixels or smaller may also help. Final thing you can do is to
save at a better compression rate with JPEG, say 50% or 70% without
losing much quality..
All these options should be availabe in the program that came with your
camera or on your image editing software.

This will bring the filesize down to around 40 K or less per pic.. Much
more acceptable for downloads!-)
//
Jim

Thanks for the advice, I kept them large so that you can 'zoom' them, and
posted a warning !!

They are resized from the camera, you'd still be downloading otherwise ;-)

Depends on the camera.. You can keep them large and still lower the
resolution.. Unless you want people to be able to print them there is no
point going above 72 ppi!-)

There are other ways of speeding up loading. Using thumbnails, or
smaller images that link to the high quality ones..
Using a 'Preload' script.

But yes.. you did warn us;-)
//
Jim