Old 26-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default Red double flowered rose repeat flowering climber

"Rosarosam" wrote:
Maybe you could have a look to some of the Hybrid Perpetuals?
Jocelen.
www.rosarosam.com

Beales (okay, he's not the be-all and end-all, but simply the
writer of the only reference books on roses I own) shows
only one Hybrid Perpetual as shade-tolerant, Souvenir du
Docteur Jamain. "A superb rose if kept away from scorching
sun, which it hates," he writes, and gives its size as 10 feet high
by 7 wide. "Rich ruby-red," a repeater, shade-tolerant, fragrant,
only semi-double but the cupped shape of the blossoms gives
them almost a double look.

Sounds just the thing, apart from the semi-double bit. If it can
grow to ten feet, one could probably treat it as a climber.

There may be a mess of other shade-tolerant Hybrid Perpetuals:
I don't have enough experience with them (love that Reine des
Violettes, but I've never tried it in shade).

Mark., tryin' to help with this here book-larnin'