Old 26-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Kay Easton

Default Unidentified Marginal??

In article , larry
writes
A plant we can't identify has just appeared in the shallow end of our
pond. I suspect it has been delivered by the birds which bathe in this
area. Looks more like a wild flower than a cultivated, garden plant.

~16 cm tall with 4-5 thin (2-3 mm), grass-green, cylindrical, unjointed
leaves opening in top few cm to a grass like appearance. 3 flowers in an
umbel at the top of 12 cm stem. Each flower, ~1 cm across, has 3 white
petals, no obvious sepals, around a clump of yellow stamens.

The flower is very reminiscent of Frogbit but leaves are completely
wrong and it is rooted, not floating. Overall structure reminiscent of a
water plantain but leaves don't seem right?

One of the rushes????? Juncus triglumis???? Or, more likely, flowering
rush, Butomis umbellatus
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: