Old 26-08-2003, 03:04 PM
larry

Default Unidentified Marginal??

A plant we can't identify has just appeared in the shallow end of our
pond. I suspect it has been delivered by the birds which bathe in this
area. Looks more like a wild flower than a cultivated, garden plant.

~16 cm tall with 4-5 thin (2-3 mm), grass-green, cylindrical, unjointed
leaves opening in top few cm to a grass like appearance. 3 flowers in an
umbel at the top of 12 cm stem. Each flower, ~1 cm across, has 3 white
petals, no obvious sepals, around a clump of yellow stamens.

The flower is very reminiscent of Frogbit but leaves are completely
wrong and it is rooted, not floating. Overall structure reminiscent of a
water plantain but leaves don't seem right?

We're in SE Bedfordshire.

Sorry, no electronic picture.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Larry Stoter
Old 26-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , larry
writes
A plant we can't identify has just appeared in the shallow end of our
pond. I suspect it has been delivered by the birds which bathe in this
area. Looks more like a wild flower than a cultivated, garden plant.

~16 cm tall with 4-5 thin (2-3 mm), grass-green, cylindrical, unjointed
leaves opening in top few cm to a grass like appearance. 3 flowers in an
umbel at the top of 12 cm stem. Each flower, ~1 cm across, has 3 white
petals, no obvious sepals, around a clump of yellow stamens.

The flower is very reminiscent of Frogbit but leaves are completely
wrong and it is rooted, not floating. Overall structure reminiscent of a
water plantain but leaves don't seem right?

One of the rushes????? Juncus triglumis???? Or, more likely, flowering
rush, Butomis umbellatus
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-08-2003, 10:03 AM
larry

Kay Easton wrote:

In article , larry
writes
A plant we can't identify has just appeared in the shallow end of our
pond. I suspect it has been delivered by the birds which bathe in this
area. Looks more like a wild flower than a cultivated, garden plant.

~16 cm tall with 4-5 thin (2-3 mm), grass-green, cylindrical, unjointed
leaves opening in top few cm to a grass like appearance. 3 flowers in an
umbel at the top of 12 cm stem. Each flower, ~1 cm across, has 3 white
petals, no obvious sepals, around a clump of yellow stamens.

The flower is very reminiscent of Frogbit but leaves are completely
wrong and it is rooted, not floating. Overall structure reminiscent of a
water plantain but leaves don't seem right?

One of the rushes????? Juncus triglumis???? Or, more likely, flowering
rush, Butomis umbellatus

Don't think it is likely to be a true rush or sedge (although that is
what the leaves resemble), since it has a proper flower?

I was considering Flowering Rush (even though it is rather small),
however, all the descriptions I have read say pink flowers and this
one's got white flowers.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 28-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Bob Hobden

"larry" wrote in message :

[...]

It also has triangular section leaves too, not round.
I thought of Ribbon Leaved Water-plantain, Alisma gramineum, but I'm not
convinced especially as it's rather rare and only known from somewhere in
Worcs, although it does have thin leaves (stalks?) that get slightly wider
towards the top in it's emersed form although I doubt they are round too.
The name comes from the ribbon like leaves in it's immersed form.
Can't think of anything else at the moment.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 28-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"larry" wrote in message :

[...]

That's what I thought, too. But googling brought up some pics of white
flowered one - though they may just have been bad pics!