Old 26-08-2003, 07:02 PM
RROLD1

Default Pump Confusion

Hello all,

I have purchased a pump with a rating that does not make any sense at all
(trusted the knowlegable sales staff). I am trying to figure out my cost per
month but the only specification provided is output watts. Now that I have
compared it to the next pump size down, I am really confused. I don't want to
install it if a smaller one will do the job.

Here are the specs:

My pump:
Rated 3800 GPH
Output Watts: 736

Next pump down:
Rated 3300 GPH
Output Watts: 330

After reading the specs I called the dealer and asked the average monthly cost
to run each pump. They replied that the smaller pump will cost about $28.00 and
the other (the one I have) about $64.00. There is only a 500 GPH difference! Do
they know what they are talking about?

After searching the newsgroups, I have found a lot of similar questions but no
difinitive answers (at least none that I understand).
Why don't the pump companies offer a table of actual killowats used per feet of
head?. Its the answer everyone seems to be after.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

Additional Info: The pump is submersible, I have a 2' head, and a bio
filter/falls.

Thanks,

Steve