Old 27-08-2003, 04:12 PM
D Kat

Default wintering tropical lilies

This sounds wonderful (especially since you are able to do it in Michigan -
Long Island should be a cake? walk)... I don't suppose you could post a
picture someplace to get an idea of how to make the hot house? DK

"bmuller" wrote in message
s.com...
It is attached to the house, and during sunny days doesn't need to be

heated
at all. In fact, it adds lots of heat to the house. But, on cloudy days, I
let it get down to about 55-60 degrees. The air just above the water is
almost as warm as the water, however. I grow mainly orchid cactus which
likes cool winters. That is why I insulate the sides and bottom of the

horse
trough. I do have quite an evaporation problem, but frequent filling

solves
the problem. Twice a winter I drain the trough and refill it to keep

mineral
buildup down. Also helps humidify the house! :-)

"dkat" wrote in message
How warm do you have to keep your greenhouse?

"bmuller" wrote in message
s.com...

"Greg Salata" wrote in message
I am considering a tropical water lily. Any suggestions on how to

winter
them in the midwest?

Thanks

I live in Michigan. I have a horse trough in my greenhouse. (about 6

ft
long, 2 ft wide, and 18 inches high) I use a couple of fish tank

heaters
to keep the horse trough water at 75 degrees (I wrap bubblewrap around

the
trough for insulation) and immerse the tubs with the lillies in the

trough.
They form new leaves and seem to thrive, but do not bloom, probably

because
they don't get enough light and warmth. The main danger is a tendency

put
them out too early in spring. If the pond water is cooler than 75 when

they
go out in spring, they will be severely set back.

I have done this for about 15 years, and rarely lose a plant.