Old 27-08-2003, 11:02 PM
---Pete---

Default need Green Tomatoe uses

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:17:03 GMT, pascarj wrote:

anyone have any uses for green tomatoes beyond frying them?

------
I fried green tomatoes before but never really enjoyed them all
that much, but this year I tried something new and I loved them.
Here's my new recipie:

1.) Cut Green Tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick.

2.) Dip tomato slices in egg mixture seasoned with salt & pepper.
Then coat both sides with cracker meal.

3.) Fry the tomato slices in vegetable oil seasoned with garlic.
Fry them just until they begin to brown but don't overcook them
to the point where they get soft and mushy. The oil should be very
hot.

4.) Drain the fried tomato slices on a paper towel.

OK, HERE'S THE GOOD PART...

5.) Top the fried slices with spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce and
shredded mozarella cheese and place them on a grill or screen
mesh and cook them in your toaster oven or regular oven at 450
degrees F until the cheese melts and just begins to brown.

Note: What I found is that the sauce topping really brightens the
taste of the green tomatoes and the cheese gives it body and
texture. Much better than plain fried green tomatoes.

---pete---