Old 28-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Poplar tree removal - poison

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
"P&J" wrote:

Hello P&J

PJ I am having a poplar type tree removed from my garden. The
PJ tree surgeon says that he needs to use poison on the stump
PJ to prevent it growing back.
PJ Is this essential & would the poison be dangerous ?

It could be ground out, but would be more expensive.

Poplars are pretty vigorous and your man is right in saying that it
can't be left as-is, or you'll have a new tree there before you can
blink.

PJ I plan on having an organic veggie patch - only a few metres
PJ a way & already have a few things very near to the tree -so
PJ I do have some concerns.

There are "greener" versions, which IIRC, are mostly based on urea.

I believe that diesel oil (paraffin, domestic heating oil) cannot be
absorbed by plants via root-hairs, but when it is inserted via a hole bored
in the stump, it kills it effectively. Please tell me if I am wrong.

Franz