Old 28-08-2003, 09:42 AM
P&J

Default Poplar tree removal - poison

I am having a poplar type tree removed from my garden. The tree surgeon says
that he needs to use poison on the stump to prevent it growing back.

Is this essential & would the poison be dangerous ?

I plan on having an organic veggie patch - only a few metres a way & already
have a few things very near to the tree -so I do have some concerns.

Thanks in advance.

PJ

Old 28-08-2003, 12:22 PM
roy

P&J wrote:

I am having a poplar type tree removed from my garden. The tree
surgeon says that he needs to use poison on the stump to prevent it
growing back.

Is this essential

No, it is not essential. If some grows back then you are at liberty
to rip up what does grow back.

& would the poison be dangerous ?

Could be. Depends on what it is.

I plan on having an organic veggie patch - only a few metres a way &
already have a few things very near to the tree -so I do have some
concerns.

It is now proven that plants take up many toxic elements from the
soil. If you plant in a poisoned patch dont be surprised if the
plants take it up.

Why not play safe? The tree surgeon doesn't HAVE to do anything you
dont want him to.

roy

Thanks in advance.

PJ

Old 28-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Simon Avery

"P&J" wrote:

Hello P&J

PJ I am having a poplar type tree removed from my garden. The
PJ tree surgeon says that he needs to use poison on the stump
PJ to prevent it growing back.
PJ Is this essential & would the poison be dangerous ?

It could be ground out, but would be more expensive.

Poplars are pretty vigorous and your man is right in saying that it
can't be left as-is, or you'll have a new tree there before you can
blink.

PJ I plan on having an organic veggie patch - only a few metres
PJ a way & already have a few things very near to the tree -so
PJ I do have some concerns.

There are "greener" versions, which IIRC, are mostly based on urea.

Old 28-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Tumbleweed

"P&J" wrote in message
I am having a poplar type tree removed from my garden. The tree surgeon

says
that he needs to use poison on the stump to prevent it growing back.

Is this essential & would the poison be dangerous ?

I plan on having an organic veggie patch - only a few metres a way &

already
have a few things very near to the tree -so I do have some concerns.

Thanks in advance.

PJ

Why, are you planning to eat the stump after its dead? The organic plants
you are growing are full of pesticides and carcinogens anyway (organic ones
of course) so I wouldnt worry about it.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 28-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , P&J
writes
I am having a poplar type tree removed from my garden. The tree surgeon says
that he needs to use poison on the stump to prevent it growing back.

Is this essential & would the poison be dangerous ?

I plan on having an organic veggie patch - only a few metres a way & already
have a few things very near to the tree -so I do have some concerns.

No, it's not essential. If you were prepared to keep taking out the new
growth as soon as it appears, the tree would eventually give up - may
take years - but it can't go on for ever putting energy into growth and
not getting any back from photosynthesis. But if your prefer not to use
'poison' on the stump, there is no reason why you should.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Mike Lyle

"P&J" wrote in message ...
I am having a poplar type tree removed from my garden. The tree surgeon says
that he needs to use poison on the stump to prevent it growing back.

Is this essential & would the poison be dangerous ?

I plan on having an organic veggie patch - only a few metres a way & already
have a few things very near to the tree -so I do have some concerns.

The tree man would be wrong to leave the stump behind: any fool can
just cut a tree down. Lawrence D. Hills in his very good Penguin Book
*Organic Gardening* has detailed instructions for extracting a tree up
to a foot thick.

If the tree is cut a few feet from the ground, in some situations the
stump can be hauled out with a winch: if your tree man doesn't know
how to do it, I'd find one who knows what he's doing.

If you do have to leave a stump, bore several holes in the top and
fill them with dry sodium chlorate weedkiller, then cover with
something waterproof. The chlorate will both kill the stump and make
it easy to burn with a fire on top a few weeks later. None of the
chemical should escape if your cover stays in place; but make sure it
doesn't, as it's a total unselective plant-killer which can hang about
in the ground: the makers say six months to be on the safe side.

Some suckers may perhaps still come up from the roots, though: this
would be quite a good thing, as it would tell you where to dig to get
as many roots out as possible. Leaving roots to decay in the ground
may encourage harmful fungi.

Mike.
Old 28-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Sacha

in article , Mike Lyle at
wrote on 28/8/03 6:11 pm:

"P&J" wrote in message
I am having a poplar type tree removed from my garden. The tree surgeon says
that he needs to use poison on the stump to prevent it growing back.

Is this essential & would the poison be dangerous ?

I plan on having an organic veggie patch - only a few metres a way & already
have a few things very near to the tree -so I do have some concerns.

The tree man would be wrong to leave the stump behind: any fool can
just cut a tree down. Lawrence D. Hills in his very good Penguin Book
*Organic Gardening* has detailed instructions for extracting a tree up
to a foot thick.

If the tree is cut a few feet from the ground, in some situations the
stump can be hauled out with a winch: if your tree man doesn't know
how to do it, I'd find one who knows what he's doing.

There may be reasons for not using this treatment, such as a tree being
close to a wall or fence. I had 8 just like that.

If you do have to leave a stump, bore several holes in the top and
fill them with dry sodium chlorate weedkiller, then cover with
something waterproof. The chlorate will both kill the stump and make
it easy to burn with a fire on top a few weeks later. None of the
chemical should escape if your cover stays in place; but make sure it
doesn't, as it's a total unselective plant-killer which can hang about
in the ground: the makers say six months to be on the safe side.

The OP is worried about the use of poisons or didn't you see that? That was
the reason for his query.
I'd think that someone who didn't want poisons near his veg patch would be
worried about something so toxic that it could lay waste to said patch for 6
months - maybe.
snip
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 28-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Alan Gould

In article , P&J
writes
I am having a poplar type tree removed from my garden. The tree surgeon says
that he needs to use poison on the stump to prevent it growing back.

Is this essential & would the poison be dangerous ?

I plan on having an organic veggie patch - only a few metres a way & already
have a few things very near to the tree -so I do have some concerns.

We have been gradually eliminating about 50 poplars from our hedges over
the last 25 years - they were planted 70+ years ago. With older trees we
find that if a tree is cut near to the ground - i.e. less than 3 ft., it
will seldom coppice back. One tree which I wanted to shorten from its
80+ft. height was pollarded at about 15ft. and it continues to live.
Poplar is not especially hard wood and stumps left to their own devices
will rot away in 3-5 years, almost never sending up suckers. Poplars cut
at about 5-10 ft. high may send up some basal shoots, and stumps will
often become covered with ivy and be a haven for local wildlife.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 28-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
"P&J" wrote:

Hello P&J

PJ I am having a poplar type tree removed from my garden. The
PJ tree surgeon says that he needs to use poison on the stump
PJ to prevent it growing back.
PJ Is this essential & would the poison be dangerous ?

It could be ground out, but would be more expensive.

Poplars are pretty vigorous and your man is right in saying that it
can't be left as-is, or you'll have a new tree there before you can
blink.

PJ I plan on having an organic veggie patch - only a few metres
PJ a way & already have a few things very near to the tree -so
PJ I do have some concerns.

There are "greener" versions, which IIRC, are mostly based on urea.

I believe that diesel oil (paraffin, domestic heating oil) cannot be
absorbed by plants via root-hairs, but when it is inserted via a hole bored
in the stump, it kills it effectively. Please tell me if I am wrong.

Franz

Old 28-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Simon Avery

"Franz Heymann" wrote:

Hello Franz

concerns. There are "greener" versions, which IIRC, are
mostly based on urea.

FH I believe that diesel oil (paraffin, domestic heating oil)
FH cannot be absorbed by plants via root-hairs, but when it is
FH inserted via a hole bored in the stump, it kills it
FH effectively. Please tell me if I am wrong.

Kinda. They won't take oil in through the roots as such. Oil is
lighter than water and although osmosis means it won't absorb it as it
would water (differential salt content [1]), it /does/ clog up the
pores and effectively kills the tree through thirst.

I've seen several substantial trees die from even very small leaks on
domestic oil tanks over a period of time, and one - a 80+ evergreen
oak that had died all up one side from a tiny tiny drip from an oil-
line running alongside.

Actually drilling holes and putting it into the heartwood is liable to
preserve rather than rot, I'd have thought?

--
[1] Blimey, I really did pick something up from those interminably
dull horticultural lectures!

variegated poplar tree kerrygirl United Kingdom 0 05-09-2010 04:31 PM
poplar tree Sheila United Kingdom 3 21-08-2007 09:02 PM
Raised soil around poplar tree. Bob F Gardening 5 01-06-2007 02:28 AM
Poplar tree - uses P&J United Kingdom 40 03-09-2003 09:12 PM
Thanks - Poplar tree - uses P&J United Kingdom 1 02-09-2003 11:36 PM