Old 29-08-2003, 04:04 AM
M4RV1N

Default Get Rid of Yellowjackets

Lee Brouillet
writes:

For an underground nest, spray whip cream in the entrance at night. I am

not
kidding. Millions of years of evolution have not prepared yellow jackets

for
whipped cream.

OK, I'll bite! What does whipped cream do to them? Is it the density or
something? Shoot, they dig through the dirt easily enough.

First, the ones trapped inside die of asphyxiation. I assume the ones that try
to travel through whipped cream spin their wheels (so to speak) and can't get
anywhere. I had a nest right by the pond edge a few years ago, and I went out
at night with a bright flashlight covered in red plastic (insects can't see in
red light), put on a rubber glove (I didn't take chances), and sprayed canned
whipped cream in the entrance. This was a big underground nest, with workers
coming and going by dozen every minute during the day. They would attack if
you were within a few feet of the entrance. Miracle of the modern world,
canned whipped cream to the rescue.

I used a whole can so there was quite a mound there. In a day it shrank down
and dried; no yellow jacket ever emerged, as far as I know. If one did, it did
not fly very well!

Hmmmm - I 'd
REALLY have to keep the dogs away!

Yes. If they ate their way down to the bottom it could become a surprisingly
spicy dessert.

Mark Ervin