Old 29-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Mike

Default Fish and winter question

I'm sure it will be hard to catch the buggers....I do have a filter and an
air pump as well . So I should be all set for this winter. However, I'm
guessing that the next winter I may want to get a bigger tank?

A minnow trap? I have no idea what this is, but I'm guessing it is used to
catch small fish. How do you make one?

Mike

"Doug Swetland" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

I just built a 750 gallon pond and have 9 goldfish in it. Considering

it
gets very cold here in Montreal I will be bringing the fish in for the
winter. My question is how big of an aquarium do I need for these fish?
They were bough in June as feeder fish and the biggest is now no more

than 3
inches long. I have a 10 gallon tank I could use. Is this too small?

Any
suggestions?

Mike

Mike,

That should be good enough for this winter, although I'd add a
filter/air pump to be sure. Next year will be a different story after
they double in size and number. I once wintered about 25 feeders in a
30 gallon aquarium with bottom filter and side filter. They were
between three and six inches and it was a little tight.

You might want to get or make a minnow trap and see if you can catch any
babies. There is a good chance your fish have been busy and you don't
want to leave any stragglers.

Good luck catching them. It's harder than you think.

dss