Old 29-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Mike

Default Fish and winter question

I just built a 750 gallon pond and have 9 goldfish in it. Considering it
gets very cold here in Montreal I will be bringing the fish in for the
winter. My question is how big of an aquarium do I need for these fish?
They were bough in June as feeder fish and the biggest is now no more than 3
inches long. I have a 10 gallon tank I could use. Is this too small? Any
suggestions?

Mike

Old 29-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Doug Swetland

Mike wrote:

I just built a 750 gallon pond and have 9 goldfish in it. Considering it
gets very cold here in Montreal I will be bringing the fish in for the
winter. My question is how big of an aquarium do I need for these fish?
They were bough in June as feeder fish and the biggest is now no more than 3
inches long. I have a 10 gallon tank I could use. Is this too small? Any
suggestions?

Mike

Mike,

That should be good enough for this winter, although I'd add a
filter/air pump to be sure. Next year will be a different story after
they double in size and number. I once wintered about 25 feeders in a
30 gallon aquarium with bottom filter and side filter. They were
between three and six inches and it was a little tight.

You might want to get or make a minnow trap and see if you can catch any
babies. There is a good chance your fish have been busy and you don't
want to leave any stragglers.

Good luck catching them. It's harder than you think.

dss

Old 29-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Mike

I'm sure it will be hard to catch the buggers....I do have a filter and an
air pump as well . So I should be all set for this winter. However, I'm
guessing that the next winter I may want to get a bigger tank?

A minnow trap? I have no idea what this is, but I'm guessing it is used to
catch small fish. How do you make one?

Mike

Old 29-08-2003, 05:02 PM
K30a

Go here

http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1...ier=ID10621719
780151C126E&eflag=0&iteminfo4=0&itmid=1926&passite mid=1926

to see one.

This is the type I use but it didn't cost that much when I bought it!

I've heard you can make a homemade one by using two 2 liter
plastic pop bottles, use the tops as the entrances and the middle as the body.

I put in some kitty treats as bait.

The only other 'easy' way we've caught fish in our pond is to drain it way down
and get in there with nets.

good luck!
k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 29-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Heather

Babies??? I have around 30 GF (started out as feeders - now up to 6") in a
1800 gal pond, lots of hyacinths and lots of hornwort and have never seen a
baby. I have seen the GF practicing to have babies. We have a green frog.
Maybe she eats them. Water temp. only up to 70 a few times. Maybe that is
the problem.

Heather

Old 29-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Heather

Mike:

For the minnow net try Canadian Tire or your local Fishing tackle store.
The minnow trap is a standard item and should be quite inexpensive.

Heather
SW Ontario (Zone 5)

Old 29-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Matt Helliwell

K30a wrote:

Go here

http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1...ier=ID10621719
780151C126E&eflag=0&iteminfo4=0&itmid=1926&passite mid=1926

to see one.

This is the type I use but it didn't cost that much when I bought it!

I've heard you can make a homemade one by using two 2 liter
plastic pop bottles, use the tops as the entrances and the middle as the body.

Yep, I've made a trap like that, worked quite well.

--
Matt Helliwell
www.helliwell.me.uk

Old 29-08-2003, 07:32 PM
K30a

I wonder what the age is for goldfish to reproduce? And water temperature...?
Might be. Isn't new water and a full moon
also a trigger (talking to rec.ponds in general
here ;-)
Goldfish will eat a lot of the eggs they
release. I've watched Killer the Goldfish
chase down and eat a baby.

Old 29-08-2003, 09:03 PM
yourname

"Mike" wrote in message . ..
I just built a 750 gallon pond and have 9 goldfish in it. Considering it
gets very cold here in Montreal I will be bringing the fish in for the
winter. My question is how big of an aquarium do I need for these fish?
They were bough in June as feeder fish and the biggest is now no more than 3
inches long. I have a 10 gallon tank I could use. Is this too small? Any
suggestions?

Mike

The tank is one of the cheapest components of an aquarium, do the fish
a favour and buy them something bigger. If you can't afford a 30
gallon or larger aquarium why not keep them in a garbage can or
rubbermaid bin over winter? They are cheap and reusable next spring
for other purposes.

Cam
Old 29-08-2003, 10:02 PM
dkat

It isn't too late to dig a deep pond and leave them outside...

(that is meant to be a tease and not a serious statement....still what is
your frost line there?) DK

Old 30-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Axolotl

About 4ft.
I remember when I bought my first house. It was in the Montreal area and I
had the garden dug over in the spring they used a backhoe, he was down 3ft
and still into ice, and that was late May early June.
Ex Montréaler
AXO
Old 31-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Doug Swetland

Mike wrote:

I just built a 750 gallon pond and have 9 goldfish in it. Considering it
gets very cold here in Montreal I will be bringing the fish in for the
winter. My question is how big of an aquarium do I need for these fish?
They were bough in June as feeder fish and the biggest is now no more than 3
inches long. I have a 10 gallon tank I could use. Is this too small? Any
suggestions?

Mike

Mike,

I live in a climate zone similar to Montreal (Minneapolis). In order to
winter your fish in the pond you need about three feet of water. My
1700 gallon pond is almost that deep in the middle. I get about a foot
of ice covered by a few feet of snow (depending on the year).

That leaves a couple of feet for the fish and I keep a 12 inch hole open
in the ice with a 1200 watt de-icer. The cost to run the de-icer is
about $120 US over the six months of winter (depending on the snow cover).

I mention this because catching the little devils is hard in my 10 by 15
foot pond. The one year (out of six) that I brought them in for the
winter I ended up buying a minnow trap ($6) and building a fish trap for
the larger ones ($2). Baited with dog food this combination worked
really well.

But what's the point of having fish if you bring them inside in
September and then don't get them back in the pond until early June?
Their quality of life is probably better in the pond than the basement.
Mine were rather spooked by the glass of the aquarium and I ended up
covering the sides to reduce the stress.

Besides, it's a great excuse to enlarge your pond.

dss