Old 29-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Madgardener

Default moving hydrengeas

"rosemarie face" wrote in message
I know I spelled that wrong . Sorry ! My question is : I have 2 mopheads
that I would like to move to a different location.They are still
blooming. I'm in zone 5 and was wondering if I should do it now or wait
till spring ??Thanks in advance for your help!
Rosie z5

after they have stopped blooming, and before first hard frost, trim the
spent flowerheads back, prepare the holes you are putting them in and move
them and water them well, mulching them a bit. ANY bush can be moved or
planted in the fall unless it's frelling huge. Just wait until the blooming
is over, and even an overcast day would be perfect. Keep a watch on
moisture and water if it gets dry because you want them to establish before
the ground freezes. You'll see great success in the spring because they
will have had time to settle into the hole and might even bloom for you
because of this. I've moved a Lace Cap hydrangea in the fall and it didn't
miss a beat in it's new location.
madgardener