Old 29-08-2003, 08:22 AM
rosemarie face

Default moving hydrengeas

I know I spelled that wrong . Sorry ! My question is : I have 2 mopheads
that I would like to move to a different location.They are still
blooming. I'm in zone 5 and was wondering if I should do it now or wait
till spring ??Thanks in advance for your help!
Rosie z5

Old 29-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by rosemarie face
Old 29-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Madgardener

"rosemarie face" wrote in message
I know I spelled that wrong . Sorry ! My question is : I have 2 mopheads
that I would like to move to a different location.They are still
blooming. I'm in zone 5 and was wondering if I should do it now or wait
till spring ??Thanks in advance for your help!
Rosie z5

after they have stopped blooming, and before first hard frost, trim the
spent flowerheads back, prepare the holes you are putting them in and move
them and water them well, mulching them a bit. ANY bush can be moved or
planted in the fall unless it's frelling huge. Just wait until the blooming
is over, and even an overcast day would be perfect. Keep a watch on
moisture and water if it gets dry because you want them to establish before
the ground freezes. You'll see great success in the spring because they
will have had time to settle into the hole and might even bloom for you
because of this. I've moved a Lace Cap hydrangea in the fall and it didn't
miss a beat in it's new location.
madgardener

Old 29-08-2003, 08:02 PM
dkat

I think most plants do best if moved in the fall (must be early enough in
the fall for the roots to become establish enough for the plant to get water
during the winter) because the plants are not putting their energy into new
growth or flowers, they can establish roots without any other demands and go
dormant before there is a need for the roots to feed leaves and flowers.
Come Spring the plant is already established and the natural order of events
goes forth. You don't kill any of the delicate hair roots that need
microscopic connections to the soil to do their thing. I imagine if you
could catch the plant in very late winter before it has started to put out
the hair cells, (the plant is still dormant) but the ground was workable and
not wet then you would have the perfect time for moving but I have never
found those conditions to be true. Basically if the ground is workable then
the plant is putting out hair cells as far as I can tell. I think the
dormant root plant stock that you can buy has been dug up in the fall and
kept in straw or such.

I have lost more plants that I have moved in the spring then any other. I
think it because I assume that they will get enough rain water to take care
of themselves and I neglect them when in fact they aren't really
established. I have never lost a plant I have moved in the fall. (knock on
wood).

DK

news