Old 30-08-2003, 04:12 PM
DavidG

Default unwanted lime trees

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Gary Eckersall" wrote in

message
s.com...
Can anyone advise on how to discover if trees are "protected".
We have a major problem with large Lime trees on and around our
property. We and several neighbours, are concerned on the safety of
local children, with falling branches-sticky deposits attracting wasps
(which have stung several children).
We are keen to get rid but have been told that they are protected.
We don't want to contact the local council person because she is a real
stickler and will not listen.
many thanks

I sincerely hope they are protected.

Franz

I have the same problem as Gary and i sincerely hope they are not.
Bloody lime trees are useless in a suburban street.
Not only does the sap cover everything and make it sticky, it gets covered
in black aphids,
it has to be cropped round the bottom twice a year because the suckers block
the footpath
and make it difficult to see up the road when reversing out. It also has to
be pollarded every few years
to keep it under control. Apart from that, having roots under the front
garden and into the base of the wall is fine I suppose.

Please stop this tree-hugger mentality of 'I hope its protected' every time
a tree is mentioned.
There are good trees and bad trees - just like people ! eg Sycamore.

If the lime outside our house died, I would quite happily replace it with
two other species.