Old 29-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Billinge, Nr Wigan
Default unwanted lime trees

Can anyone advise on how to discover if trees are "protected".
We have a major problem with large Lime trees on and around our property. We and several neighbours, are concerned on the safety of local children, with falling branches-sticky deposits attracting wasps (which have stung several children).
We are keen to get rid but have been told that they are protected.
We don't want to contact the local council person because she is a real stickler and will not listen.
many thanks
Old 29-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Gary Eckersall" wrote in message
s.com...
Can anyone advise on how to discover if trees are "protected".
We have a major problem with large Lime trees on and around our
property. We and several neighbours, are concerned on the safety of
local children, with falling branches-sticky deposits attracting wasps
(which have stung several children).
We are keen to get rid but have been told that they are protected.
We don't want to contact the local council person because she is a real
stickler and will not listen.
many thanks

I sincerely hope they are protected.

Franz

Old 29-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Earnest Trawler

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Gary Eckersall" wrote in

message
s.com...
Can anyone advise on how to discover if trees are "protected".
We have a major problem with large Lime trees on and around our
property. We and several neighbours, are concerned on the safety of
local children, with falling branches-sticky deposits attracting wasps
(which have stung several children).
We are keen to get rid but have been told that they are protected.
We don't want to contact the local council person because she is a real
stickler and will not listen.
many thanks

I sincerely hope they are protected.

Franz

Try your local govt. website., found several using Google with protected
tree info on them. If you are living in a conservation area then all trees
are protected.

Earnest

Old 30-08-2003, 04:12 PM
DavidG

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Gary Eckersall" wrote in

message
s.com...
Can anyone advise on how to discover if trees are "protected".
We have a major problem with large Lime trees on and around our
property. We and several neighbours, are concerned on the safety of
local children, with falling branches-sticky deposits attracting wasps
(which have stung several children).
We are keen to get rid but have been told that they are protected.
We don't want to contact the local council person because she is a real
stickler and will not listen.
many thanks

I sincerely hope they are protected.

Franz

I have the same problem as Gary and i sincerely hope they are not.
Bloody lime trees are useless in a suburban street.
Not only does the sap cover everything and make it sticky, it gets covered
in black aphids,
it has to be cropped round the bottom twice a year because the suckers block
the footpath
and make it difficult to see up the road when reversing out. It also has to
be pollarded every few years
to keep it under control. Apart from that, having roots under the front
garden and into the base of the wall is fine I suppose.

Please stop this tree-hugger mentality of 'I hope its protected' every time
a tree is mentioned.
There are good trees and bad trees - just like people ! eg Sycamore.

If the lime outside our house died, I would quite happily replace it with
two other species.

Old 30-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Rod

"DavidG" wrote in message
..
There are good trees and bad trees - just like people ! eg Sycamore.

Not so. The trees are innocent victims of people who don't do the due
diligence and consequently plant entirely unsuitable species for a given
situation.

Rod

Old 30-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Michael Berridge

--

Sorry. but the only way is to contact the local council as they are
likely to be the only ones with a full list.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 31-08-2003, 10:24 AM
Mike Lyle

"Rod" wrote in message ...
"DavidG" wrote in message
.
There are good trees and bad trees - just like people ! eg Sycamore.

Not so. The trees are innocent victims of people who don't do the due
diligence and consequently plant entirely unsuitable species for a given
situation.

And I want to speak up for the sycamore. Sure, it seeds like crazy,
and not many of our invertebrates or fungi have adapted to it yet
(which, of course, is why it can be a nuisance); but an eighty-foot
mature specimen, or better still a group of them, is a fine sight; and
the wood is excellent for turnery and I suppose furniture; pretty fair
firewood, too.

Mike.
Old 31-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Rod

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

And I want to speak up for the sycamore. Sure, it seeds like crazy, and not many of our invertebrates or fungi

have adapted to it yet (which, of course, is why it can be a nuisance); but an eighty-foot mature specimen, or
better still a group of them, is a fine sight; and the wood is excellent for turnery and I suppose furniture;
pretty fair firewood, too.

Amen to all of that, I've made some lovely furniture and turned items from that which was too good to burn. My
feeling get more mixed when I spend a couple of weeks each year on my hands and knees getting seedlings out of my
new plantings - but yes I likeSycamore in the right place. If you see sycamore seedlings where you don't want them,
get 'em out *now* it will be much more difficult later.

Rod

Old 31-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Rod" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

And I want to speak up for the sycamore. Sure, it seeds like crazy, and

not many of our invertebrates or fungi
have adapted to it yet (which, of course, is why it can be a nuisance);

but an eighty-foot mature specimen, or
better still a group of them, is a fine sight; and the wood is excellent

for turnery and I suppose furniture;
pretty fair firewood, too.

Amen to all of that, I've made some lovely furniture and turned items from

that which was too good to burn. My
feeling get more mixed when I spend a couple of weeks each year on my

hands and knees getting seedlings out of my
new plantings - but yes I likeSycamore in the right place. If you see

sycamore seedlings where you don't want them,
get 'em out *now* it will be much more difficult later.

I have heard it said that if you make a break in the bark in the spring and
insert a little metal "gutter" and a hanging receptacle, as in tapping
rubber, you can collect a good approximation to maple syrup from a sycamore.
Does anyone know more about this?

Franz

Old 01-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
[...]
I have heard it said that if you make a break in the bark in the spring and
insert a little metal "gutter" and a hanging receptacle, as in tapping
rubber, you can collect a good approximation to maple syrup from a sycamore.
Does anyone know more about this?

I've read it in some winemaking book: true of birch, as well, it
seems. I suppose the difference would probably be a lower sugar
content -- I think even sugar maple sap is relatively low in sugar,
and the sirup we buy has been boiled down a lot. It's occurred to me
now and then to try, but somehow I never think of it at a convenient
time.

Must be plenty of homesteady US and Canadian websites with
instructions.

Mike.