Old 30-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] need new trees

hello all.
i live in indianapolis, indiana, U.S. the situation here
for getting a variety of species just sucks. so i am
forced to do the mail order thing. i have heard mixed
reviews about this so i am reluctant to do this. since i
really have no other choice, i would ask all of you where
can i get good pre bonsai stuff? i am looking for stuff
that has not been trained or has been trained very little.
i like to start from scratch. along with the previous
question, i do not make a lot of money so keep price in
mind with your suggestions. i am looking for any type of
tree really but i'm interested in bald cypress, larch,
sequoia, jasmine orange, to name a few. thanks for your time.

Visit our sponsors (see our website - address below).

That said, Indianapolis is a large(ish) city and I find it hard
to believe that there isn't ONE good nursery, if not several
(including one specializing in native plants) in the greater
metropolitan areas. Here in our little 275,000 pop. COUNTY we
have at least 5 excellent nurseries and probably a dozen others
that can have nice stuff occasionally. This does NOT count
super-center plant departments (Lowes, Home Depot and others of
that ilk), which also -- occasionally -- have worthwhile stuff.

Mail order trees will be quite a bit smaller (trunk girth, etc.)
than the same-age tree sold locally. They will be more expensive
(considering shipping costs) and they most likely will NOT be
acclimatized for your area of the world (tho you're better off
that way than I am since you're in the same general zones as most
decent mail-order nurseries). They also are subject to the
vicissitudes of shipping -- meaning they may not arrive in the
best of condition.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++