Old 30-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Noydb

Default tomato acidity

Previously I have been told that the need to acidify tomatoes before canning
was not dependent on the soil but on the variety and that the problem is
that many of the currently popular varities do not have enough acid of
their own.

This, then, begs the question of which varities DO supply sufficient
acidity. I am growing heirlooms this year and plan to continue
indefinitely. I would certainly be willing to plant varieties that
supported the end goal of not adding lemon juice but also not taking undue
chances with my family's health.

Does anyone know (or have a link for) high-acid tomato varieties?

Bill
--
Zone 8b (Detroit, MI)