Old 30-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Chagoi

Default Bronze color

Jeanne wrote:

Hi Guys.....

Anyone know how to eliminate the slight bronze color to an otherwise very
clear pond? Water quality is fine with the single exception of hardness
which is off the scale. Fish are doing fine. I have some koi clay on order
which I hope might help....

Thanks for any suggestion.....
Cheers,
Bruce

Hi Bruce

the addition of koiclay or terrapond (both Calcium Montmorillonite clay)
should HELP
clear up your colored water. It may not totally, but it should improve it.

I put a few newly potted cattails in my 600 gal pond (temporary, been
too wet to dig
new 13,000 gal), their pots fell over in a storm and released a lot of
clay into the pond.
I mixed a batch of Terrapond @ 2X the recommended dosage and in just 6
hours it
started to clear up enough that I could see about 2-3" into the pond.

The next day I dosed the pond again, the third day the pond was clear
except for a
slight "bronze color" I stirred up the bottom several times and let the
"Vortex"
part of the filter settle out the clay. Then emptied the silt out of the
vortex.
I waited a week (with "bronze water" and then used the normal dosage, my
water
has been "Gin Clear" (ref. ponder BV)

(the extra dosage will not hurt, I have started to take a teaspoon of
the clay
2X a week my self mixed in a glass of chocolate milk) My fish like it,
I mix a
maintainance dose 1/2 teaspoon in a cup of pond water as a treat once
every week or two.

Check out the explainations under "HOW IT WORKS" on the following pages:

http://www.pondpetsusa.com/koiclay.htm (very basic explaination)

http://www.pondpetsusa.com/terrapond.htm (more detailed explaination)

Chagoi