Old 31-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

Default Raised Bed (Small) What To Use?

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 02:44:23 -0700, Down Under On The Bucket Farm
wrote:

But I do have an area totally maybe 3 square
metres (about 3 sq yrds?) right up in front of the
building. So I figure that I might as well use
it.

I hand-tilled the area a couple of days ago, and,
maybe 5-10 cm down, ran into a plastic woven mat,
and, apparantly, solid rock.

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

may be of some help. Many garden veg have relatively shallow roots, so
you don't have to have great depth in your raised bed (I've grown
lettuce in an old dresser drawer!). I'd skip the carrots, although
there *are* super-short varieties. One concern might be drainage, if
it *is* solid rock beneath. But if you haven't noticed pooling of
water in the area, it probably has some way to run off.

Funny, the subject of sheep manure doesn't come up often. Cow,
chicken, rabbit, and horse is all good ('though horse manure tends to
be weedy).

Good luck.