Old 31-08-2003, 07:02 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Default Garlic - What vegetables can I plant now?

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk
"ajr" wrote in message
: Robert,
:
: Like Jason I'm new to gardening, so apologies if this is a daft
: comment/question.
:
: I grew a few garlic plants this year and the bulbs, whilst very 'powerful'
: in flavour were small. I only planted the bulbs in March/April and I have
: since been told that I they should have been in the ground on the shortest
: day of the year ie 21 (?) December - is this an 'old wives tale'? If not,
: will they survive a winter outside?
:
: Thanks in advance.
:
: Cheers,
:
:
: Andrew
:
:
: "The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
: message ...
: Jason Pope wrote:
: : Hi
: :
: : Just wondering whether you budding gardeners out there could give me a
: : bit of advice about what vegetables I could sow from seed, plant, at
: : the moment.
: :
: : I realise the growing season for a lot of things has passed, and I'm
: : pretty new at this, so just thought I'd pick the brains of those more
: : experienced than I.
: :
: : Thanks in advance
: :
: : Jason
:
: Over wintering onion sets can be planted soon and broad bean seeds can
be
: sown in October/November depending on where you live. Spring cabbage
: plants
: could still be planted, if you can get hol;d of some plants. Don't
forget
: net them against pigeons. Oh and garlic can be planted in the autumn
:
: Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk
:
:
:
: Yes they will come up year after year if you leave them in the ground and
they do better with a long season so planting in the autumn gets them ready
to grow away quickly in the spring