Old 31-08-2003, 05:12 PM
ajr

Default Garlic - What vegetables can I plant now?

Robert,

Like Jason I'm new to gardening, so apologies if this is a daft
comment/question.

I grew a few garlic plants this year and the bulbs, whilst very 'powerful'
in flavour were small. I only planted the bulbs in March/April and I have
since been told that I they should have been in the ground on the shortest
day of the year ie 21 (?) December - is this an 'old wives tale'? If not,
will they survive a winter outside?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Andrew

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...
Jason Pope wrote:
: Hi
:
: Just wondering whether you budding gardeners out there could give me a
: bit of advice about what vegetables I could sow from seed, plant, at
: the moment.
:
: I realise the growing season for a lot of things has passed, and I'm
: pretty new at this, so just thought I'd pick the brains of those more
: experienced than I.
:
: Thanks in advance
:
: Jason

Over wintering onion sets can be planted soon and broad bean seeds can be
sown in October/November depending on where you live. Spring cabbage

plants
could still be planted, if you can get hol;d of some plants. Don't forget

net them against pigeons. Oh and garlic can be planted in the autumn

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 31-08-2003, 07:02 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk
"ajr" wrote in message
: Robert,
:
[...]
: Jason Pope wrote:
: : Hi
: :
[...]
: Yes they will come up year after year if you leave them in the ground and
they do better with a long season so planting in the autumn gets them ready
to grow away quickly in the spring

Old 31-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"ajr" wrote in message
Robert,

Like Jason I'm new to gardening, so apologies if this is a daft
comment/question.

I grew a few garlic plants this year and the bulbs, whilst very 'powerful'
in flavour were small. I only planted the bulbs in March/April and I have
since been told that I they should have been in the ground on the shortest
day of the year ie 21 (?) December - is this an 'old wives tale'? If not,
will they survive a winter outside?

Garlick is one of the hardiest plants in the UK. There are huge wild
patches of them in the Yorkshire Dales.

Your top posting has now ruined this thread.

Franz

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...
Jason Pope wrote:
: Hi
:

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
What vegetables can endure bad drainage? [email protected] Edible Gardening 7 28-07-2006 04:43 PM
What vegetables can endure bad drainage? [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 24-07-2006 03:51 AM
growing vegetables is now trendy :) Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 21 22-11-2005 10:56 PM
What vegetables can I plant now? Jason Pope United Kingdom 3 01-09-2003 12:02 PM