Old 31-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Raised Bed (Small) What To Use?

writes:

What should I use? The closest/easiest thing is
"potting mix" with peat and bark. (That is what I
am using for my bucket-bound plants.) I can go
downtown for some sheep manure if that would be
better, though. (I live in the 'burbs, so a
truckload of horse manure, etc, is out of the
question.)

I'll pass on to you what I told my middle son when he installed raised
beds this spring. His were placed on a water-bound clay soil.

We were able to get a load of horse manure for him to put straight on the
bottom for about a 4-inch thickness. On top of that, he put horse manure
mixed 50/50 with his existing soil. Their garden this year has done
exceptionally well, truly one to be very pleased with.

I would think the sheep manure could be used in the same way and produce
much the same results.

It shouldn't be a worry about putting the straight manure on the bottom
because the earthworms are going to be working through this and mix it
well. It also gives a good organic base to your garden area.

BTW, my son purchased his raised bed materials from the source I requested
earlier this year,
http://www.ecologicalsgardens.com for those of you who
might be interested. They are very pleased with the beds, especially the
bounty which, of course, has little to do with the construction material
but everything to do with what goes into the bed as its basis (manure,
soil, etc.) and the care (both sunlight and water) after planting.

I always put the horse manure as the bottom layer in my pots (very large
for potatoes and tomatoes), usually 6-8 inches, and fill the remainder
(12-24 inches) with good ol' plain garden soil, which in my case is last
year's horse-manured prepared and used one season. They have worked well
for me when I properly water them. It's always a bit amazing at the end
of the season when the pots are dumped back into the garden how many
earthworms are still working away, doing their thing.

As always, your mileage may vary, but that's what works here.

Glenna