Old 01-09-2003, 12:02 AM
B & J

Default vinegar for whiteflies

"Saqib Ali" wrote in message
om...
i can drink vinegar but i don't think i ca drink ortho malatihion

i tried chasig away the whiteflies by spraying water, but they keep on

coming back.

is a yellow sticky paper trap going to help?

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
http://www.xml-dev.com

I find tomatoes as well as zucchini are a whitefly magnets. Using the
yellow, sticky paper trap outside is a waste of time. I've tried it. Sure,
some stick to the paper, but they reproduce so rapidly that it's impossible
to notice any reduction in population. Spraying water works on the other
aphids, but doesn't seem to have any effect on whiteflies. I've tried that
method too.

The only thing I've found that seems to work is a combination of isopropyl
alcohol (rubbing alcohol), SunSpray Ultra-Fine, Year Round Pesticidal Oil,
and water mixed in a spray. The combination sprayed on the underside of the
leaves seems to fry or smother the whiteflies and their eggs. This doesn't
get rid of all of them, but keeps them under control. Perhaps they migrate
from a neighbor's garden where nothing is done, for I did eradicate them
totally this past year on lantana cuttings that I overwintered. Spraying in
the evening when temperatures are below 80 degrees is most effective.

John