Old 30-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Saqib Ali

Default vinegar for whiteflies

Hello All,

Can spraying vinegar+water get rid of whiteflies over my tomatoe
plants? I don't want to use any harsh chemicals like Ortho Malathion

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
http://www.xml-dev.com
Old 30-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Why?

Do you want to pickle your plants in the process?

What makes you think that vinegar isn't a harsh chemical on plants?

Just spraying your plants with water would chase away white flies.

Malathion can be deadly to Crassulaceae and bromeliads!!!

om...

Old 31-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Saqib Ali

i can drink vinegar but i don't think i ca drink ortho malatihion

i tried chasig away the whiteflies by spraying water, but they keep on coming back.

is a yellow sticky paper trap going to help?

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
http://www.xml-dev.com

Old 31-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Salty Thumb

(Saqib Ali) wrote in
om:

i can drink vinegar but i don't think i ca drink ortho malatihion

i tried chasig away the whiteflies by spraying water, but they keep on
coming back.

is a yellow sticky paper trap going to help?

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
http://www.xml-dev.com

I've seen yellow sticky traps recommended for some insects, not sure if
whiteflies were included. Spraying vinegar, well that's not such a good
idea, unless you are ready to make a salad.

You might want to find out what is attracting the whiteflies and eliminate
that. (unless of course it's the tomatoes)

-- Salty
Old 01-09-2003, 12:02 AM
B & J

"Saqib Ali" wrote in message
om...
i can drink vinegar but i don't think i ca drink ortho malatihion

i tried chasig away the whiteflies by spraying water, but they keep on

coming back.

is a yellow sticky paper trap going to help?

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
http://www.xml-dev.com

I find tomatoes as well as zucchini are a whitefly magnets. Using the
yellow, sticky paper trap outside is a waste of time. I've tried it. Sure,
some stick to the paper, but they reproduce so rapidly that it's impossible
to notice any reduction in population. Spraying water works on the other
aphids, but doesn't seem to have any effect on whiteflies. I've tried that
method too.

The only thing I've found that seems to work is a combination of isopropyl
alcohol (rubbing alcohol), SunSpray Ultra-Fine, Year Round Pesticidal Oil,
and water mixed in a spray. The combination sprayed on the underside of the
leaves seems to fry or smother the whiteflies and their eggs. This doesn't
get rid of all of them, but keeps them under control. Perhaps they migrate
from a neighbor's garden where nothing is done, for I did eradicate them
totally this past year on lantana cuttings that I overwintered. Spraying in
the evening when temperatures are below 80 degrees is most effective.

John

Old 01-09-2003, 01:12 AM
CHEX

I have had good luck using just dishsoap and water as a spray

Old 01-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

There was some fella in California a few years ago that was drinking
Malathion to prove that it was non-toxic to humans. Wonder whatever happened
to him? Maybe he's running for governor?

Why would you drink vinegar? Do you want to be a sour puss?

Even if you spray with vinegar they will come back.

Sure why not try the sticky yellow fly paper?

om...

Old 01-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Salty Thumb

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in
:

There was some fella in California a few years ago that was drinking
Malathion to prove that it was non-toxic to humans. Wonder whatever
happened to him? Maybe he's running for governor?

He probably made it onto one of those ridiculous TV shows (where they eat
stuff like bolts and hammers), retired and died of cancer.

- ST
Old 01-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Saqib Ali

I sprayed the tomatoes with a mixture of vinegar and water (20%
vinegar). And that got rid of the whiteflies in 1 single shot. A nice
lady at Home Depot recommended the use of vinegar to rid of
whiteflies. Seems like it works.

Now I will have to wait and see if it effects the fruits or the plants
in any way.

Saqib Ali
http://www.xml-dev.com

Salty Thumb wrote in message . ..
(Saqib Ali) wrote in
om:

Old 01-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Salty Thumb

(Saqib Ali) wrote in
om:

I sprayed the tomatoes with a mixture of vinegar and water (20%
vinegar). And that got rid of the whiteflies in 1 single shot. A nice
lady at Home Depot recommended the use of vinegar to rid of
whiteflies. Seems like it works.

Now I will have to wait and see if it effects the fruits or the plants
in any way.

Saqib Ali
http://www.xml-dev.com

Interesting. Can you tell us what proportions you used (or did you use
straight 20% with no additional dilution)? Also please update us as to
whether the plants and fruits were adversely affected.

When I spray 5% household vinegar on sidewalk weeds, they usually turn
brown within 5 minutes on a hot day.

-- Salty

[IMG] code is On

Still have whiteflies Marie Dodge Edible Gardening 26 16-08-2008 03:56 AM
Chil(l)i con whiteflies Marco Schwarz United Kingdom 6 09-10-2007 08:52 PM
whiteflies bad in your area higgledy Edible Gardening 1 09-06-2006 02:54 AM
whiteflies [email protected] Roses 1 30-05-2003 06:08 PM
Gardenias, ,mold and whiteflies Louis Texas 2 18-04-2003 06:08 PM