Old 01-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm leaf loss

I'm posting on behalf of a friend who has a Chinese elm which
recently
started shedding leaves. The foliage is very sparse compared to

its
appearance this time last year. The only cause we can think of

is
overwatering or that perhaps it needs repotting. There doesn't

seem to
be any obvious signs of pests or disease.

I infer from your message that the tree did not lose leaves last
fall.

If this is the case, I'd suspect the leaves are merely getting
old. Chinese elms are NOT evergreen. In colder climes they
often lose their leaves every year. In more moderate climes, the
leaves can stay green for longer periods, but they are NOT
immortal.

I suggest that someone lift the tree from the pot and take a look
at the roots. Unless it is so rootbound that there is no soil at
all remaining (which would mean several (!) years since last
potted) I don't see need for repotting as a cause for leaf loss.

Overwatering should be abundantly clear from lifting the tree.
If the roots are black and the soil dripping, you probably should
wash all soil and rotten roots away and repot in a coarse,
free-draining soil, then ONLY water when the soil is dry.
Rotting roots, however, should lead to black and crispy leaves
and you don't mention that, so I suspect it's just leaves
reaching the end of their normal span.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++