Old 01-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm leaf loss

I looked at the picture. Diagnosis is difficult from this far away but:

1. It looks like the tree is indoors. Even in the UK this tree should
and could be outside most of the time. You can get away with being inside
for a time but sooner or later it takes its toil on the plant.

2. Watering might be the problem. Either too much or too little. Did
I see a lot of moss on the surface. This might mean too much water or the
water might not be getting to the roots. We recommend the Perisano (sp) pick.
Put a wooden chop stick or meat skewer in the soil about half way between the
trunk and edge of the pot. Water when the skewer feels dry to the touch.

3. Pull the tree and look at the roots. White, fleshy means healthy,
black, mushy means sick.

4. Although it doesn't look like it from the picture, this could be a
reaction to an early fall. (Also I thought you guys were having a heat wave.)

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Jim Lewis

I'm posting on behalf of a friend who has a Chinese elm which
recently
started shedding leaves. The foliage is very sparse compared to

its
appearance this time last year. The only cause we can think of

is
overwatering or that perhaps it needs repotting. There doesn't

seem to
be any obvious signs of pests or disease.

I infer from your message that the tree did not lose leaves last
fall.

If this is the case, I'd suspect the leaves are merely getting
old. Chinese elms are NOT evergreen. In colder climes they
often lose their leaves every year. In more moderate climes, the
leaves can stay green for longer periods, but they are NOT
immortal.

I suggest that someone lift the tree from the pot and take a look
at the roots. Unless it is so rootbound that there is no soil at
all remaining (which would mean several (!) years since last
potted) I don't see need for repotting as a cause for leaf loss.

Overwatering should be abundantly clear from lifting the tree.
If the roots are black and the soil dripping, you probably should
wash all soil and rotten roots away and repot in a coarse,
free-draining soil, then ONLY water when the soil is dry.
Rotting roots, however, should lead to black and crispy leaves
and you don't mention that, so I suspect it's just leaves
reaching the end of their normal span.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-09-2003, 03:03 AM
Martin

I would say that root rot is first on the list; next, not enough sun; and
last, a possible attack by root nematodes.
Marty
Old 03-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Steve wachs

From the picture it appears that the tree is kept indoors. If this tree is kept indoors all the time , that would explain leaf loss. when Elms are kept outside they lose their leaves in the fall as most deciduous trees do. But, when kept indoors the leave
s remain throughout the year. What happens is that eventually the older leaves turn yellow and fall off.
If this tree is kept indoors year round then I would think the tree is fine. It should be putting out new leaves shortly.
SteveW
Long Island NY