Old 01-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Chris

Default can bamboo spread into woods

bamboeverywhere wrote in message ws.com...
Hi. I have purchashed a house with Bamboo EVERYWHERE. I think someone
once had this bright idea of planting it and not controlling it the way
you guys have suggested. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can clear
it up? I have cut it all back to root, but it is basically all over my
garden and I wouldn't mind a little bit in the corner, but not
everywhere!

Cut it down where you don't want it and mow it when it is shooting.
At this point it has hopelessly overtaken your yard. While it is
possible to put a barrier around the area you want to keep and kill
the rest, it is a very daunting task that will take many years.

If you want to do this, dig a trench around the area you want to keep
(about 30") and put in a barrier with about 4 inches exposed. Cut
down everything you want to get rid of. As it shoots let it reach
full height and as it is just branching out cut down the culm. Keep
doing this and eventually you will exaust the stored energy in the
rhizomes. This will take YEARS to do and you will also have to
monitor the barriers to make sure there are no escapees. Herbicides
won't give you the results you want, as bamboo is VERY hardy and
running bamboos are the hardiest of them all.

Good luck, if I had to make the decision I would opt for mowing new
shoots as they come in and just keep it where you want it, but I am
inherently lazy :-)

Chris
Chino,CA