Old 01-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Ray

Default Fluorescent lighting

Before you go investing in fluorescent fixtures, why not describe why you
think your plants aren't getting sufficient light. There are more things
than just light that affect blooming, and the phal should be pretty good
about fairly low light levels.

If you do decide to go with lights, don't bother to buy one of those cheapie
2-bulb fixtures. The ballast will die in short order. You're better off
with a quality fixture, and one with an electronic ballast will be quieter,
last longer, and will waste less energy generating heat.

FWIW, I prefer the GE "Sunlight" bulbs, as they have a broad spectrum and
are only a buck or two more than ordinary cool whites.

"gardenjan" wrote in message
My Cattleya (mini), and Phalaenopsis do not get enough light to flower.
They both grow new leaves and roots. I want to try fluorescent lighting.
Any suggestions on types of fluorescent light bulbs, wattage, and hours a
day needed for encouraging flowering.
All replies appreciated. Thanks.