Old 01-09-2003, 05:12 PM
zxcvbob

Default baseball bat zuchinni

EvelynMcH wrote:

If you have a dehydrator, zucchini chips (made with thinly sliced raw
zucchini, dried) are quite tasty.

Great idea - I never would have thought of that!

(I hate the stuff - but hubby loves it. Planted tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers
and all sorts of stuff this year. Nothing grew well but the guess-what, and I
am going to make hubby eat the danm stuff until he turns green...now you've
given me a way to torture him all winter...[bg])

I made a pie yesterday using a giant green squash. It was huge and tough,
almost like a white-fleshed small pumpkin. I peeled it, scraped out the
seeds, and cut into apple-slice-sized pieces. To about 6 cups of slices I
added a cup of sugar. Meanwhile, I put about 1/3 of a can of frozen
concentrated apple juice in a 2 qt. saucepan and added 2 tablespoons of
cornstarch and 1/2 tsp citric acid crystals. Heated gently until it
thickened, then poured in the sugarwater drawn out of the squash. Then
added the squash slices and mixed well and continued cooking over low heat
until everything was heated through but not really simmering. Poured into
a 9.5" deep pie crust. Topped with a mixture of 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup
sugar, 1/2 stick margarine, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp mace (1/4 tsp of
nutmeg or allspice if you don't have mace) Baked at 375 for 45 minutes.

I never said what kind of pie it is, but family thinks it's apple. It
would have tasted a lot better with a little more sugar and if some of the
cinnamon was added to the filling. And the squash should have sat longer
in the sugar.

I think this would be a nicely different treatment for pumpkin, with more
spices and leave out the citric acid.

Best regards,
Bob