Old 25-08-2003, 07:02 PM
rosie readandpost

Default baseball bat zuchinni

what am i to do with HUGE baseball bat zucchini?
the diameter of these things (2) is about 10inches, and they truly are as long as a bat!
my husband loves to plant and watch things grown, but isn't big on the harvesting part!

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
......................... victor borge

Old 25-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:51:44 GMT, "rosie readandpost"
wrote:

what am i to do with HUGE baseball bat zucchini?
the diameter of these things (2) is about 10inches, and they truly are as long as a bat!
my husband loves to plant and watch things grown, but isn't big on the harvesting part!

You can wash them and shred them - no peeling necessary.
Then freeze them.

In the winter, you make zucchini bread or muffins, or veggie
burgers.

BTW, you don't have to blanch them - I froze shredded
zucchini last year both blanched and unblanched - as a test.

The unblanched zucchini kept just as well as the ones I'd
blanched, even better really. They stayed fine until I
finally threw them out this summer, after using as much as I
could!

Pat

Old 26-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:51:44 GMT,
"rosie readandpost" scribbled:

what am i to do with HUGE baseball bat zucchini?

Take it out in the front yard and entertain the neighbors
by taking a batter's stance and chanting "Batter, Batter hey!"
Swing the zucchini, drop it, and run the bases yelling " It's
going...going...GONE! ANOTHER HOMERUN FOR ROSIE!"

Or stroll up to the fence of the neighbor you most like to
scandalize and purr softly, "Guess what my husband grew
for me that's big, and long and oh so firm?" Whip out your
er...zucchini and burst into an operatic aria.

Give your husband one and you can sword fight until the
zucchini disintegrate.

Hollow it out and play "Up Periscope" in the swimming pool.
This is more fun if you can speak with a German accent.

Give it to your dog and video him carrying it through the dog
door, then send the tape into one of those funniest videos
shows.

Or or or....

Pam

"ElissaAnn"
Old 26-08-2003, 03:42 AM
rosie readandpost

ROTFLMAO!
i am copying and sending this to my husband, farmer tom!

Old 26-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Steve

Rosie,
Guess what I do with the giant ones... I save them until October and
turn them into wonderful Jack-o-lanterns. They are not as naturally
hollow as a pumpkin but they do get soft and pithy around the seeds
after storage and can be hollowed out. I carve long droopy eyes, a long
nose and a turned up mouth. Stand them on each side of your front door
and people will do a double take when they notice them. ;-)
I keep a couple on the plant until it might frost just for this. They
can store for weeks or months if needed once they get that big.
I often grow yellow skinned zucchini and of course those make really
nice Jack-o-lanterns.

Steve

Old 26-08-2003, 03:02 PM
rosie readandpost

thanks steve!

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

"Acceptance is not submission; it is acknowledgment of the facts of a
situation, then deciding what you're going to do about it."
........................K.C. Theisen

Old 26-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Grandpa

On a serious note (only because others have beat me to it for the funny
stuff), use it for either zuccini bread (YUM!) or split lengthwise, take
out the seeds, fill the cavity with a mix of hamburger and rice and bake
that puppy. Good stuff Maynard!

Old 26-08-2003, 07:32 PM
rosie readandpost

thanks!
(where is that maynard expression from? i use it all the time)

Old 26-08-2003, 08:22 PM
simy1

"rosie readandpost" wrote in message ...
what am i to do with HUGE baseball bat zucchini?
the diameter of these things (2) is about 10inches, and they truly are as long as a bat!
my husband loves to plant and watch things grown, but isn't big on the harvesting part!

If you have a dehydrator, zucchini chips (made with thinly sliced raw
zucchini, dried) are quite tasty. In dry years they usually have
enough flavor of their own (after drying, not before), in wet years a
little marinade will perk them up (lemon pepper, or salt and herbs).
Use them as you would corn chips. They are good enough that you may
start letting them grow big on purpose.

Old 26-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Andrew McMichael

rosie readandpost wrote:

thanks!
(where is that maynard expression from? i use it all the time)

It came from an old Malt-o-Meal advertisement in the 1970s.

Andrew
Old 27-08-2003, 06:12 PM
EvelynMcH

If you have a dehydrator, zucchini chips (made with thinly sliced raw
zucchini, dried) are quite tasty.

Great idea - I never would have thought of that!

(I hate the stuff - but hubby loves it. Planted tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers
and all sorts of stuff this year. Nothing grew well but the guess-what, and I
am going to make hubby eat the danm stuff until he turns green...now you've
given me a way to torture him all winter...[bg])

-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein
Old 27-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Marie Martinek

wrote:

what am i to do with HUGE baseball bat zucchini?
the diameter of these things (2) is about 10inches, and they truly are as long

as a bat!
my husband loves to plant and watch things grown, but isn't big on the

harvesting part!

You can wash them and shred them - no peeling necessary.
Then freeze them.

In the winter, you make zucchini bread or muffins, or veggie
burgers.

Check the center before you shred them. If the seeds have formed, scoop out
and discard the center. You'll still get plenty of pulp from
baseball-bat-sized zuchnoids.

The shredded pulp can also be added to spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, lasagna,
soup -- drain off the excess water first, and cook it long enough that it
sorta dissolves.

--
Marie Martinek
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA

Old 01-09-2003, 05:12 PM
zxcvbob

EvelynMcH wrote:

If you have a dehydrator, zucchini chips (made with thinly sliced raw
zucchini, dried) are quite tasty.

Great idea - I never would have thought of that!

(I hate the stuff - but hubby loves it. Planted tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers
and all sorts of stuff this year. Nothing grew well but the guess-what, and I
am going to make hubby eat the danm stuff until he turns green...now you've
given me a way to torture him all winter...[bg])

I made a pie yesterday using a giant green squash. It was huge and tough,
almost like a white-fleshed small pumpkin. I peeled it, scraped out the
seeds, and cut into apple-slice-sized pieces. To about 6 cups of slices I
added a cup of sugar. Meanwhile, I put about 1/3 of a can of frozen
concentrated apple juice in a 2 qt. saucepan and added 2 tablespoons of
cornstarch and 1/2 tsp citric acid crystals. Heated gently until it
thickened, then poured in the sugarwater drawn out of the squash. Then
added the squash slices and mixed well and continued cooking over low heat
until everything was heated through but not really simmering. Poured into
a 9.5" deep pie crust. Topped with a mixture of 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup
sugar, 1/2 stick margarine, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp mace (1/4 tsp of
nutmeg or allspice if you don't have mace) Baked at 375 for 45 minutes.

I never said what kind of pie it is, but family thinks it's apple. It
would have tasted a lot better with a little more sugar and if some of the
cinnamon was added to the filling. And the squash should have sat longer
in the sugar.

I think this would be a nicely different treatment for pumpkin, with more
spices and leave out the citric acid.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 01-09-2003, 05:22 PM
zxcvbob

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:02:23 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

I never said what kind of pie it is, but family thinks it's apple. It
would have tasted a lot better with a little more sugar and if some of the
cinnamon was added to the filling. And the squash should have sat longer
in the sugar.

I think this would be a nicely different treatment for pumpkin, with more
spices and leave out the citric acid.

Very interesting. Why did you add the citric acid, anyway?
Maybe lemon juice might be nicer.

Pat

Because the "zukes" were not tart like pie apples, and I didn't have any
lemon juice. Also, I lied about the citric acid; actually I used malic
acid, the acid naturally found in apples. Someone trying to duplicate my
experiment would probably not be able to find malic acid so I changed it to
citric. (I probably should have said so in a footnote.) I'm not sure how
much lemon juice you would use, probably 1 or 2 Tbsp.

Best regards,
Bob

Zuchinni leaves [email protected] Edible Gardening 9 31-07-2005 02:17 PM
Zuchinni Size two dogs Edible Gardening 24 08-10-2004 12:14 AM
Zuchinni Size two dogs Edible Gardening 0 30-08-2004 01:32 AM
Zuchinni problem Mel Edible Gardening 6 12-07-2003 01:44 AM
Zuchinni problem rile Edible Gardening 1 17-05-2003 06:32 PM