Old 01-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Mike Lyle

Default unwanted lime trees

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
[...]
I have heard it said that if you make a break in the bark in the spring and
insert a little metal "gutter" and a hanging receptacle, as in tapping
rubber, you can collect a good approximation to maple syrup from a sycamore.
Does anyone know more about this?

I've read it in some winemaking book: true of birch, as well, it
seems. I suppose the difference would probably be a lower sugar
content -- I think even sugar maple sap is relatively low in sugar,
and the sirup we buy has been boiled down a lot. It's occurred to me
now and then to try, but somehow I never think of it at a convenient
time.

Must be plenty of homesteady US and Canadian websites with
instructions.

Mike.