Old 02-09-2003, 05:32 AM
B & J

Default Have eroding hillside - requesting suggestions

"Frank Logullo" wrote in message

"joe user" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a hillside lot in a semi-rural setting (SW Ohio area) that is
eroding rather rapidly. Does anyone have a suggestion of a
low-maintenance plant that would slow or stop erosion while being
resistant to pollution from the adjacent highway?
Low-maintenance 'cuz I don't live there and can't drive 50 miles every
week to mow & etc.

Used to see a lot of crown vetch along highways. In my experience it

gives
way to other vegetation but initial use seems to keep down erosion.
Frank

There's a perennial legume called birdsfoot trefoil that is great for
erosion prevention. The highway department frequently seeds it on disturbed,
construction areas, and it produces a splash of bright yellow flowers that
is attractive. It isn't as tall as crown vetch, which I consider a plus. It
has attributes for wildlife that you might like.

Check out this site: http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/info/trefoil.html or do
you own Google search.

John