Old 02-09-2003, 05:42 AM

Default how do I stop a ginko tree from fruiting?

Gingko Biloba is the genus/species name of the tree. The dietary supplement
is basically the fruit. There is no substance on earth more akin to the
smell of canine feces than that fruit. Having said that, the fruit is a
delicacy in SE Asia and I remember 15 yrs ago in high school a japanese
exchange student being quite shocked that we did not eat the berries (we
were equally shocked that anyone would get closer to them than strictly
necessary). Gingkos are dioescious-whole trees are a single gender. Most
commercial plantings will unsurprisingly be males, which bear no fruit. God
bless you if you are brave enough to suffer a female. The breed can't live
forever on cuttings.

"Hope Munro Smith" wrote in message
om...
(Myrmecodia) wrote in message

. com...
Hope Munro Smith wrote in message

Gosh, I think ginko trees are the loveliest things to see! I didn't
realize that they had smelly fruit, I'll have to check the one I go by
everyday to see if it has any on it.

If the person who planted it was thinking ahead, it's probably a male
plant propagated from a cutting.

Nick

Well, I went by yesterday and most of them have big clusters of ginko
fruit! But I read that is the source of ginko biloba. Perhaps the
person who wanted to get rid of his fruit should reconsider and
perhaps make a little money?!