Old 14-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Jonathan Johnson

Default how do I stop a ginko tree from fruiting?

Hi - hope someone her can help me, I have a female Ginko tree thats going to
fruit out in front of my building.

Its a nice looking tree, problem is, the fruit smells like VOMIT. And no
matter what i do to clean it up, it stinks in front of MY building and the
neighbors give me the stink-eye in return (which can be dangerous in
brooklyn...)

i can't kill the tree (and don' really want to), its in front of my house but
technically belongs to the city.

any suggestions on how to stop the tree from fruiting?

the only info i could find was a reference giberellic acid retarding budding.

if nobody knows how to stop the fruiting, I'd settle for an idea on something
to clean the sidewalk that could stop the stench...powerwashing is out
because i would splash the rotting fruit onto the neighbors cars...even more
dangerous.

please help, stink season is fast approaching!!

Old 14-08-2003, 06:03 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

You can't stop the tree from "fruiting".

Since the Ginkgo is a gymnosperm, technically they are not fruit but are
actually seeds with a fleshy coat.

Old 14-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Jan Flora

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Well, if the tree "technically" belongs to the city, it's their problem.
You could enlist your neighbors to petition the city to remove the offending
tree and replace it with something less offensive. (Hell, hang a sign on the
tree saying, "ask the city council to replace this tree with something that
doesn't stink. Inquire within.")

You have my condolences, since you live in Brooklyn, but I've heard that if
you have to live in a crowded place, that ain't a bad place to live. At least
you probably know all of your neighbors, which is more than most folks in
the suburbs can say...)

Jan, former denizen of "Little Italy" in San Francisco, now in Alaska
Old 14-08-2003, 02:02 PM
David J Bockman

Ok, let's not try to cut down a perfectly good ginkgo...

The city should have an arborist who can apply a hormone to the tree that
will essentially trick it into 'believing' its fruited already. If not, a
commercial arborist can be hired to do the same.

From http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/ces/yard/2001/102001.html:

"There is a product called a fruit eliminator which is labeled to prevent or
at least reduce fruit production on a large number of ornamental trees. It
functions by producing ethylene gas, a naturally occurring plant hormone
that can cause immature fruit to drop if applied when the fruit are very
small (just following flowering). It will not be effective if applied later.

I have seen it promoted by some horticultural supply retailers in New
Mexico, so I suspect you can find this product in the state. Be sure to read
the label to determine if it is labeled for your types of fruit trees. Then
be certain to follow the directions when using the fruit eliminator."

and from http://www.hirts.com/cgi-local/catal...32,&item=1762:

"Florel® brand Fruit Eliminator is registered to reduce or eliminate
undesirable fruit development on many ornamental trees and shrubs such as:
apple, buckeye, carob, cottonwood, crabapple, elm, flowering pear, horse
chestnut, maple, oak, olive, pine, sour orange, sweet gum (liquidambar) and
sycamore. It also works on many other species that produce nuisance fruit.

Application must be made prior to fruit set; apply at the mid to full-bloom
stage in sufficient water to wet (do not spray to run off). Good spray
coverage is essential for complete fruit elimination. Application made too
early or too late will also not be effective. Apply at 1 quart per 10
gallons of water (3 oz./gallon). The amount of spray used will depend upon
the size of the tree. Temperatures at the time of application should be
between 65 degrees Fahrenheit and 95 degrees Fahrenheit for the best
results. Do not apply to trees that are under stress from disease, high
temperatures, drought, etc.

In university tests, we have received 95-100 percent control of undesirable
fruit on many species. However, timing is extremely critical!"

Dave

Old 14-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Salty Thumb

Well, if the tree "technically" belongs to the city, it's their
problem. You could enlist your neighbors to petition the city to
remove the offending tree and replace it with something less
offensive. (Hell, hang a sign on the tree saying, "ask the city
council to replace this tree with something that doesn't stink.
Inquire within.")

I bet if that's the case then a nicely gift wrapped package of gingko
'apples' to some city officials will get fast results. Or will get your
face plastered on the news, depending what things are like in NYC these
days.

-- Salty

Old 14-08-2003, 06:12 PM

actually, the nuts of ginkgo are edible and those in the asian community might want
the crop. INgrid

Salty Thumb wrote:
I bet if that's the case then a nicely gift wrapped package of gingko
'apples' to some city officials will get fast results. Or will get your
face plastered on the news, depending what things are like in NYC these
days.

-- Salty

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 29-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Hope Munro Smith

(Jan Flora) wrote in
:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Gosh, I think ginko trees are the loveliest things to see! I didn't
realize that they had smelly fruit, I'll have to check the one I go by
everyday to see if it has any on it.
Old 30-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Myrmecodia

Hope Munro Smith wrote in message ...
Gosh, I think ginko trees are the loveliest things to see! I didn't
realize that they had smelly fruit, I'll have to check the one I go by
everyday to see if it has any on it.

If the person who planted it was thinking ahead, it's probably a male
plant propagated from a cutting.

Nick

Old 02-09-2003, 05:42 AM

Gingko Biloba is the genus/species name of the tree. The dietary supplement
is basically the fruit. There is no substance on earth more akin to the
smell of canine feces than that fruit. Having said that, the fruit is a
delicacy in SE Asia and I remember 15 yrs ago in high school a japanese
exchange student being quite shocked that we did not eat the berries (we
were equally shocked that anyone would get closer to them than strictly
necessary). Gingkos are dioescious-whole trees are a single gender. Most
commercial plantings will unsurprisingly be males, which bear no fruit. God
bless you if you are brave enough to suffer a female. The breed can't live
forever on cuttings.

"Hope Munro Smith" wrote in message
om...
(Myrmecodia) wrote in message

. com...
Hope Munro Smith wrote in message

Gosh, I think ginko trees are the loveliest things to see! I didn't
realize that they had smelly fruit, I'll have to check the one I go by
everyday to see if it has any on it.

If the person who planted it was thinking ahead, it's probably a male
plant propagated from a cutting.

Nick

Well, I went by yesterday and most of them have big clusters of ginko
fruit! But I read that is the source of ginko biloba. Perhaps the
person who wanted to get rid of his fruit should reconsider and
perhaps make a little money?!

Old 02-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Hope Munro Smith

Interesting, I guess I will find out in a few weeks if the ginko trees
here on campus have smelly fruit, and will of course report back.
As for the Japanese student who was surprised we don't eat the ginko
berries, was s/he also surprised we don't grow kudzu for the tubers?!

"S" wrote in
et:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Ginko seed Roberto Alday Delgadillo Bonsai 5 02-10-2004 05:46 PM
ginko tree question escapee Texas 4 26-07-2004 12:03 AM
[IBC] Ginko biloba David J. Bockman Bonsai 11 02-01-2004 05:32 AM
Ginko biloba Mike Bonsai 0 01-01-2004 09:02 PM
Can i kept Ginko biloba inside? Patrick Gardening 2 03-09-2003 07:12 PM