Old 02-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Down Under On The Bucket Farm

Default Raised Bed (Small) What To Use?

In article
,
says...

I'd skip the carrots, although
there *are* super-short varieties.

I am figuring on carrots going into buckets -
maybe three per 10-litre bucket, starting from
seeds in ummmm... "late spring" say the seed
packages? (Maybe Nov. 15 or so...)

One concern might be drainage, if
it *is* solid rock beneath. But if you haven't noticed pooling of
water in the area, it probably has some way to run off.

I think that drainage is OK, since my area is in
between similar/adjacent areas for the neighbours.
I will put the edging a bit above the bottom level
(where the rock is), so there can be drainage out
to the sides. Had rain yesterday, and the tilled
area didn't have much pooling, esp after the rain
stopped.

Funny, the subject of sheep manure doesn't come up often. Cow,
chicken, rabbit, and horse is all good

Here in NZ, the sheep out-number the humans about
eleven-to-one. We probably have the world's
highest per-capita supply of sheep manure

Good luck.

Thanks to you, and to everybody else who replied!

--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz