Old 03-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Does this sound like a reasonable quote?

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message ...
"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
£1,000 to replace an area of lawn 4m x 7m with gravelled hardstanding for
car.
Excavate to depth of 4 inches, remove soil, membrane, gravel. No hardcore
(probably not necessary it wont be used more than 2 or 3x day).

Reading area.......I'm sure it would be £3.50 up North :-(

[...]
Not unreasonable - but I would suggest reconsideing the hardcore. 100mm of
mot type 1 over membrane with 25mm peashinblge rolled into the top will give
a much more stable surface. 4" of gravel is V hard to walk on.

Definitely: and cars send deep gravel all over the place. I'd want the
hardcore compacted, too (before the shingle goes on).

You may be able to sell the lawn: cheaper than clean topsoil, of
course, but it might contribute a worthwhile bite of the bill. And
your builder would then have to knock off the cost of disposal.

For a glorious split second, I read "Reading area" as "reading area",
and thought you must be very fond of your car to want to sit beside,
or in, it with a book!

Mike.