Old 03-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Tumbleweed

Default Does this sound like a reasonable quote?

£1,000 to replace an area of lawn 4m x 7m with gravelled hardstanding for
car.
Excavate to depth of 4 inches, remove soil, membrane, gravel. No hardcore
(probably not necessary it wont be used more than 2 or 3x day).

Reading area.......I'm sure it would be £3.50 up North :-(

I had guessed a grand so wasnt surprised, normally when I guess the price of
something the quotes come in at double that! Waiting for one more quote.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 03-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Paul Kelly

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
£1,000 to replace an area of lawn 4m x 7m with gravelled hardstanding for
car.
Excavate to depth of 4 inches, remove soil, membrane, gravel. No hardcore
(probably not necessary it wont be used more than 2 or 3x day).

Reading area.......I'm sure it would be £3.50 up North :-(

I had guessed a grand so wasnt surprised, normally when I guess the price

of
something the quotes come in at double that! Waiting for one more quote.

Not unreasonable - but I would suggest reconsideing the hardcore. 100mm of
mot type 1 over membrane with 25mm peashinblge rolled into the top will give
a much more stable surface. 4" of gravel is V hard to walk on.

pk

Old 03-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Mike Lyle

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message ...
"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
£1,000 to replace an area of lawn 4m x 7m with gravelled hardstanding for
car.
Excavate to depth of 4 inches, remove soil, membrane, gravel. No hardcore
(probably not necessary it wont be used more than 2 or 3x day).

Reading area.......I'm sure it would be £3.50 up North :-(

[...]
Not unreasonable - but I would suggest reconsideing the hardcore. 100mm of
mot type 1 over membrane with 25mm peashinblge rolled into the top will give
a much more stable surface. 4" of gravel is V hard to walk on.

Definitely: and cars send deep gravel all over the place. I'd want the
hardcore compacted, too (before the shingle goes on).

You may be able to sell the lawn: cheaper than clean topsoil, of
course, but it might contribute a worthwhile bite of the bill. And
your builder would then have to knock off the cost of disposal.

For a glorious split second, I read "Reading area" as "reading area",
and thought you must be very fond of your car to want to sit beside,
or in, it with a book!

Mike.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Tumbleweed

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

[...]

Paul, what is 'mot type 1' is that bigger bits of stone??

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 03-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Paul Kelly

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

Not unreasonable - but I would suggest reconsideing the hardcore.
100mm of mot type 1 over membrane with 25mm peashinblge rolled into
the top will give a much more stable surface. 4" of gravel is V hard
to walk on.

pk

Paul, what is 'mot type 1' is that bigger bits of stone??

oops, slipped into jargon..... Mot type 1 is the reddish-grey stuff you see
by the roadside when workmen are remaking the road, or below well laid
driveways, a mix of sizes from around 40mm down to fines and is self
binding. It makes a good base for gravel as this can be rolled into the
surface.

pk