Old 04-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default I've got the bug I suppose

Pondliner.com is great, I had to return a pump there once and customer
service was no hassle.

LeeAnne wrote:
Yikes - upon further examination it turns out that I have not 2 but 4 fish
in my little 'bird pool'. So, the little guys will have to come in for the
winter (I've got a 55 gallon w/one catfish in it that shall become their
home).

A few questions...because I'm going to slightly expand... (and I mean
slightly!!! really I do!!!).

1. Best place to buy a nice 45mil liner - are there place online that are
cheap? Yes I know to stay away from the roofing stuff. I think the liner I
have down now is about 6 x 5 or something like that - I'm going to probably
get at least a 10 x 10 or a 15x15 or something. I want to make sure I've
got plenty of room to do the edges correctly so I don't have the small leaks
that keep developing w/what I have now.

1a. Best place to buy some sort of prefab waterfall thing? I'm not really
great at building stuff.

2. Goldfish are pretty hardy, right? The 55 gallon they will go into for
the winter is kept at a constant 80-ish degrees (to keep Ick away) Ph is
usually a little high, very high phosphates and very hard water. It's the
same town water in the tank that's in the pond, but the pond, of course,
gets rain water and has live plants in it that the 55 won't have. I usually
keep the light off to prevent algae growth (have very high phosphates and
the algae grows like nuts). I just want to make sure they will handle the
transition OK.

I'm still not looking for a 'pond-pond' that will attract all manner of
great blue herons and raccoons. It'll still be a bird-splashing pool, I'm
going to just dig it out a little deeper and make it a bit better for the
fishies I have. I also don't want to really have to deal w/the filtration
and yadda yadda yadda that goes w/a larger pond (mucking about in it, etc.)
So instead of having a 3x5 pond I'm probably going to have something about
twice the size w/a small water fall at one end and my fountain head at the
other end. Probably 12-18" deep at the most (depending on how hard it'll be
to dig out).

Yikes, here I go....
LeeAnne