Old 04-09-2003, 11:34 PM
Mort

Default PH Issue

"gizmo" wrote in message
Well after learning a bit more about RO systems....
When I do change water in my tanks I use 75% RO water to get a PH rate of
about 6.8 and GH of 6-7.
But after a while (about a week) the PH value is going up a bit....
What are the factors of a PH raise it raises up to 7.2 (The hardness stays
the same ,though these too parameters as I understand are not influenced

by
one another) ???
10x

gizmo

I cant't really explain the relationship between hardness and pH. It has
been too long since I learned about it. However! This is where I learned
about it...
http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-chem.html
That is an AWESOME article that will explain it very well!

The key word here that you need to become familiar with is... "buffer"

Also, several things can effect your pH in a tank.

Driftwood tends to lower it while certain substrates will raise it (Like
argonite sand or crushed coral etc)
What type of substrate do you have?

If you want a lower pH I would recommend either "Discus Buffer" or "Neutral
Regulator".

Or, you could do CO2 injection if you wanted to keep plants, that will
naturally lower your pH as well.

Also, why exactly are you mixing the RO water? I didnt understand what you
wrote.

~Mort