Old 05-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Help infestation on my cedar bushes

"Chris Faught" wrote:

Hi recently and for the first time we have a sort of cocooned active worm
all over our cedar bushes and they seem to be killing the bushes. They look
just like dead growth on the bush but are actually little worms in a tough
little bag. Anyone know how to kill the little suckers.

These are bagworms which are actually moths. The females are wingless.
A neighbor who is a member of the Lepidoptera Society (bagworms are
members of the LEPIDOPTERA family) says he has tried contact
insecticides and they were not effective. His best results have been
using systemics like acephate (Orthene). Malathion didn't work for him.
Carbaryl is not good to use on conifers since it kills the parasites
that control spider mites and spider mites are real bad on conifers.
Bacillus thuringienis (Dipel) is non-specific and kills most LEPIDOPTERA.

We have bad attacks of bag worms on juniper (red cedar), Colorado Blue
Spruce, and arborvitae. It has killed large parts of a globular
arborvitae which I hope to save.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman