Old 05-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Chris Faught

Default Help infestation on my cedar bushes

Hi recently and for the first time we have a sort of cocooned active worm
all over our cedar bushes and they seem to be killing the bushes. They look
just like dead growth on the bush but are actually little worms in a tough
little bag. Anyone know how to kill the little suckers. I am already aware
of the flamethrower option so no need to mention it.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Pam

Chris Faught wrote:

Hi recently and for the first time we have a sort of cocooned active worm
all over our cedar bushes and they seem to be killing the bushes. They look
just like dead growth on the bush but are actually little worms in a tough
little bag. Anyone know how to kill the little suckers. I am already aware
of the flamethrower option so no need to mention it.

Thanks in advance

You have bagworms, a relatively common pest on conifers in many parts of the
country at this time of year. This link should help explain the problem and
offer suggestions for control:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/no...1e/ort081e.htm

pam - gardengal

Old 05-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Chris Faught

Thanks Pam that was a very helpful link. I will try their suggestions.
Have you had to deal with them in the past? What did you do?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Pam

Chris Faught wrote:

Thanks Pam that was a very helpful link. I will try their suggestions.
Have you had to deal with them in the past? What did you do?

Thanks

Thankfully, no bagworms in this neck of the woods, although we have plenty
of other equally nasty pests. I think David Bockman, who posts here often,
has had experience with them..........David, any tips for Chris??

pam - gardengal

Old 05-09-2003, 06:42 PM
David J Bockman

It's disgusting, but I handpick (wearing gloves) and drop them in a bucket
of water... for very large infestations (and to reach where a ladder can't)
I've used malathion with excellent results. I use an alternating schedule of
spraying like this:

spray
3 day interval
spray
7 day interval
spray
10 day interval
spray if needed

Dave

Old 05-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Chris Faught" wrote:

Hi recently and for the first time we have a sort of cocooned active worm
all over our cedar bushes and they seem to be killing the bushes. They look
just like dead growth on the bush but are actually little worms in a tough
little bag. Anyone know how to kill the little suckers.

These are bagworms which are actually moths. The females are wingless.
A neighbor who is a member of the Lepidoptera Society (bagworms are
members of the LEPIDOPTERA family) says he has tried contact
insecticides and they were not effective. His best results have been
using systemics like acephate (Orthene). Malathion didn't work for him.
Carbaryl is not good to use on conifers since it kills the parasites
that control spider mites and spider mites are real bad on conifers.
Bacillus thuringienis (Dipel) is non-specific and kills most LEPIDOPTERA.

We have bad attacks of bag worms on juniper (red cedar), Colorado Blue
Spruce, and arborvitae. It has killed large parts of a globular
arborvitae which I hope to save.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman