Old 05-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Scott Teetsel

Default wintering

Turn off the filter at about 40 degree water temperature, clean it and
have it
ready to go in the spring. Never turn on a filter that has been sitting

over
the winter without cleaning it first - noxious dead bio bugs will enter

the
pond

This will be my first winter for my pond too, and my first winter living in
this area, so I am not sure exactly what to expect. I forget which zone I
am in, but I am on the Western Slope of Colorado, so we experience some snow
and cold, but generally nothing extreme. But I plan on keeping my pump and
fountain going. I use a Skippy Filter in a pre-formed 1/2 barrel liner.

Should I disconnect my filter for the winter, or keep it running? I was
planning to keep it, until I read the statement above.

Thanks!

Scott