Old 05-09-2003, 02:20 AM
Thenewguy

Default wintering

hey...im totally new at this...this will be my 1st winter (when it comes)
with having my pond. What do i do with my plants? and fish?? the pond is 2
feet deep and i live in ny where it can be any where from 20 degrees to -5
at night.....what do i do when the time comes???

Old 05-09-2003, 03:11 AM
K30a

What you need to find out, or make a good guess at, is if your pond will freeze
solid. That's not good...
You can *bring* your pond indoors in a stock tank, into a garage, basement or
covered porch. You can get really carried away and build an indoor pond. (This
usually takes some careful negociating with the spouse.)
Can you give us an idea of exactly where you live? A ponder from that area can
give you more exact information.
Here is just a standard winter care checklist. It will give you an idea of what
to expect.

Winter Pond Check List

Tropicals should be removed and wintered over indoors or discarded.

After the first good frost trim up as much dead foligage as you can.

Remove leaves as they blow into the pond or spread nets over the pond to catch
them (anchor securely). Do not let netted leaves dip into the pond.

Stop feeding fish when the water temperature reaches about 55 degrees

Choose a method to keep a hole open in the ice.
This allows for gases from decomposing plant and fish waste to escape and
oxygen to enter the pond.

A luft pump with an airstone works well and seems to be the most energy
efficient method.

De-icers float on the surface and switch on when the water gets cold enough to
form ice.

The pump can be raised off the bottom and the flow directed up to the surface
of the water.

If the pump is turned off remove the pump, clean it and store it for the
winter.

Turn off the filter at about 40 degree water temperature, clean it and have it
ready to go in the spring. Never turn on a filter that has been sitting over
the winter without cleaning it first - noxious dead bio bugs will enter the
pond

Ponders in the really frozen zones bring in their fish (the depth of your pond
is an important factor).
A large stock tank is a wise investment. Add oxygen with a bubbler and net the
tank to prevent fish from jumping out. Do not feed the fish if the water
temperature is below 55 degrees. If the water is warmer a filter will be needed
for fish that are fed over the winter.
(A stock tank is also handy for quarantining new fish before adding them to
your pond.)

A winter pond can be very pretty and enjoyable if you are prepared.

Fussing around the pond in 2 degree weather is *not* fun, been there, done
that.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 05-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Scott Teetsel

Turn off the filter at about 40 degree water temperature, clean it and
have it
ready to go in the spring. Never turn on a filter that has been sitting

over
the winter without cleaning it first - noxious dead bio bugs will enter

the
pond

This will be my first winter for my pond too, and my first winter living in
this area, so I am not sure exactly what to expect. I forget which zone I
am in, but I am on the Western Slope of Colorado, so we experience some snow
and cold, but generally nothing extreme. But I plan on keeping my pump and
fountain going. I use a Skippy Filter in a pre-formed 1/2 barrel liner.

Should I disconnect my filter for the winter, or keep it running? I was
planning to keep it, until I read the statement above.

Thanks!

Scott

Old 05-09-2003, 08:22 PM
K30a

Scott wrote Should I disconnect my filter for the winter, or keep it running?
I was
planning to keep it, until I read the statement above.

You'll find a lot of people do different things ;-)

The bio bugs won't be 'working' in cold water and the fish won't be producing
much, if any, waste so there is no need to filter a winter pond. Everybody kind
of goes into a stupor for the winter.

Keeping water running, as in a waterfall or fountain, can sometimes be dicey.
If things start to freeze sometimes the water can freeze in such a way as to
direct water away from the pond. More so in a waterfall than a fountain.

Another theory to keep the pump off is that the water movement from the pump to
the fountain or waterfall, there and back again, is making a current for the
fish to swim against when they'd rather just lay there, slowly finning their
fins. Water movement makes them work harder and use up energy they'd rather put
to keeping some weight on them over the winter.

But, all that said, there are rec.ponders who keep their pump running and their
waterfall going all winter. And all goes well, no problems.

Here in zone 7a, mild winters with a couple of weeks in the zero to 20 range, I
use an air pump and air stone. I strap the air pump to the pole that my
electrical stuff is on and cover it all with a galvanized bucket so it stays
dry. The resulting hole in the ice allows noxious gasses to escape from the
pond and as a bonus gives the birds a place to drink during the winter.

Old 05-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Axolotl

ESPMER (K30a) wrote in
:

[...]

Hi there, nice to see you back K30a.

I am not sure what zone I am in, Colour coded maps are not much use to
somebody whose colour blind. I am in Mississauga, just west of Toronto,
so I think I am in zone 5 (5a). In the past I have disconnected from the
waterfalls and redirected the flow to a standpipe over the pond, this
keeps an opening in the ice, adds oxygen and provides the local wildlife
a source of water in the winter.
However, I wonder if this is the best approach, I keep seeing people
recommending a bubbler, I tried this one winter but the air pump died
within 2 weeks. What depth should the air-stone be set to?

TIA
AXO

Old 05-09-2003, 10:32 PM
K30a

Thanks, nice to be back ;-)

I bought my air pump from
http://www.aquaticecosystems.com
It is a Luft pump and seems to be hanging in there.

I tie something to the line (a small clay pot last year) and sink the bubbler
about 8 inches down.

Old 07-09-2003, 02:06 AM
Robyn Rhudy

See http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/winter.htm

(I will be moving my entire site hopefully by 10/4/03 to
http://www.fishpondinfo.com so this URL will move).

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Thenewguy wrote:

hey...im totally new at this...this will be my 1st winter (when it comes)
with having my pond. What do i do with my plants? and fish?? the pond is 2
feet deep and i live in ny where it can be any where from 20 degrees to -5
at night.....what do i do when the time comes???

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_
/ \----------/ \
\ | | | | /
ww ooo ooo ww

Old 07-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Ian

I am in Brampton, and we normally are rated at 5a-6a.

Humber Nurseries, my pond store, has us, on a normal Toronto winter, at 6a.
Last year's winter had us way down, 5a and more than likely even lower.

BTW, where did you purchase your air pump, air stone? Last year I used one
of those circular, 100watt de-icers to keep a hole in my pond (small, 750
gallons, 2 feet deep), and it did the job.

I thought for this year, I'd use the de-icer and an air stone as I now also
have 2 koi in the pond.

"Axolotl" wrote in message
. 130...
ESPMER (K30a) wrote in
:

I tie something to the line (a small clay pot last year) and sink the
bubbler about 8 inches down.

OK, I had my bubbler at the bottom of the pond (3ft). the air pump just
wore out, probably too much pressure to work against.
I will try putting a bubbler into the pond now, just to see how it goes.

Bye the Bye, What zone is Mississauga in.

Thanks
AXO

Old 07-09-2003, 05:13 PM
NJ

"Ian" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
I am in Brampton, and we normally are rated at 5a-6a.

BTW, where did you purchase your air pump, air stone?

I got both at Wal-Mart in their pet section. Any pet store or discount
store with a pet section should have what you need, and for an inexpensive
cost.

NJ

Wintering my small pond(first year) Scrapster1 Ponds (alternative) 15 27-10-2003 12:12 AM
Wintering my boxwoods and other stuff - Zone 7 Allen Bonsai 2 08-10-2003 01:12 PM
wintering bog plants *muffin* Ponds 1 11-09-2003 12:23 AM
Wintering over [was Herbs? ] Texensis Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Wintering pond fish inside Mark & Kathy Mills Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:45 PM