Old 06-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Babberney

Default Sarsasparilla Tree Question

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 08:02:02 GMT, "Shell91"
wrote:

Hi
I will be planting 4 Sarsasparilla trees in my front yard this November.
They are not very big and I want them to do well. How far appart and how
deep do I need to plant them? They will be going in a full sun area where a
mimosa tree used to be and I will have to dig out the grass and fence the
spot to keep the lawn guys from mowing them down. Also does anyone know how
well these trees will do in zone 9, southeast Texas?
Thanks for any advice and help
Shell

Plant trees in a hole no deeper than the container you buy them in (or
no deeper than they were when you dug them). If they are in
containers, look at the base to see if root flares are visible. If it
looks like a straight pole going into the soil, scrape away the top
soil until the root flares are visible. Plant a little high rather
than a little low, as some settling is likely after transplant. For
more info on transplanting trees, see the consumer info link in my sig
below.

I'm not familiar with this species, but a quick google search should
turn up the mature size--take that info, apply a bit of common sense,
and determine spacing from there. If they are crowded, they will
probably still do okay (maybe one will eventually get covered by
another, but then you can just remove the "loser") but may not have a
nice, balanced shape later. It's up to you how important that is.
Don't forget to take into consideration any overhead wires or
underground pipes/lines that may have to be dug up later.
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/