Old 05-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Shell91

Default Sarsasparilla Tree Question

Hi
I will be planting 4 Sarsasparilla trees in my front yard this November.
They are not very big and I want them to do well. How far appart and how
deep do I need to plant them? They will be going in a full sun area where a
mimosa tree used to be and I will have to dig out the grass and fence the
spot to keep the lawn guys from mowing them down. Also does anyone know how
well these trees will do in zone 9, southeast Texas?
Thanks for any advice and help
Shell

Old 05-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Shell91

ooops They're Sassafrass trees
(much embarassment)
Shell

. ..

Old 05-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Shell91

Cool. I'm hoping to get some color from them during our 4 or 5 day fall and
3 days of winter Hopefully they will grow like weeds here too.
Shell

From: "Shell91"
Newsgroups: rec.gard

ooops They're Sassafrass trees
(much embarassment)
Shell

Well here in zone 7 they grow like weeds and seem to thrive under most
conditions they don't seem to be bothered by any insects or diseases--good
foliage, nice fall color

Old 06-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Babberney

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 08:02:02 GMT, "Shell91"
wrote:

Hi
I will be planting 4 Sarsasparilla trees in my front yard this November.
They are not very big and I want them to do well. How far appart and how
deep do I need to plant them? They will be going in a full sun area where a
mimosa tree used to be and I will have to dig out the grass and fence the
spot to keep the lawn guys from mowing them down. Also does anyone know how
well these trees will do in zone 9, southeast Texas?
Thanks for any advice and help
Shell

Plant trees in a hole no deeper than the container you buy them in (or
no deeper than they were when you dug them). If they are in
containers, look at the base to see if root flares are visible. If it
looks like a straight pole going into the soil, scrape away the top
soil until the root flares are visible. Plant a little high rather
than a little low, as some settling is likely after transplant. For
more info on transplanting trees, see the consumer info link in my sig
below.

I'm not familiar with this species, but a quick google search should
turn up the mature size--take that info, apply a bit of common sense,
and determine spacing from there. If they are crowded, they will
probably still do okay (maybe one will eventually get covered by
another, but then you can just remove the "loser") but may not have a
nice, balanced shape later. It's up to you how important that is.
Don't forget to take into consideration any overhead wires or
underground pipes/lines that may have to be dug up later.
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Old 06-09-2003, 02:22 AM
Marley1372

sassafrass is a very fast growing tree that should do alright in zone 9. They
have the potential to get pretty huge so you may want to place them a good
distance apart.

Toad
Old 06-09-2003, 09:22 AM
gregpresley

In North Florida (zone 8/9) this tree also grows like a weed. I had to cut
or dig up many in my yard, which bordered on a patch of wild forest. The
smell of the roots is delicious - the essence of root beer.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Shell91

Hi
Thanks for the advice. The spot I have in mind doesn't have any overhead
wires or and pipes I know of. I will check for pipes though. I plan on
putting the trees in the front yard to get some shade and some color in the
fall. I kind of would like to plant them like a small grove that I could
eventually plant a nice flower garden around.

Shell

Old 06-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Shell91

We have a huge Chinese Tallow Tree in the back yard. Got to be about 150
feet tall. Leaves tons of tree trash, leaves and twigs and such all over
the yard, and has huge roots that we had to have removed from the yard.
Some of the roots were at least 2 feet in diameter. Hopefully the
Sassafrass trees won't get quite that big I might put one in the back
yard to replace a pecan tree that was electrocuted when some power lines
were downed n my back yard. Fast growing is a good thing

Shell

Old 06-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Shell91

Rootbeer One of my favorite things. Nice scent and color in the fall
too, I think I chose a good tree

Shell

Old 06-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Shell91

Thanks for the tip. The spot I have in mind doesn't have anything valuable
close by. It's a good sized lawn with a holly hedge in front and what I
thought was a prycanthia hedge on one side (not sure what it is really)
Nobody parks on the street by the holly and we plan on moving the driveway
over several feet so everything sould work out well.

Shell

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
m...
(Marley1372) wrote in message

sassafrass is a very fast growing tree that should do alright in zone 9.

They
have the potential to get pretty huge so you may want to place them a

good
distance apart.

Toad

And you want to be sure they don't overhang anything valuable; sassafras
wood is very brittle, so they shed limbs quite easily in a storm.

J. Del Col

Old 09-09-2003, 04:03 AM
Babberney

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 11:40:14 GMT, "Shell91"
wrote:

We have a huge Chinese Tallow Tree in the back yard. Got to be about 150
feet tall. Leaves tons of tree trash, leaves and twigs and such all over
the yard, and has huge roots that we had to have removed from the yard.
Some of the roots were at least 2 feet in diameter.

If you cut roots that big, don't put anything valuable within 150' of
that tree--it's likely to fall over at any time (depending on how
close to the trunk the cuts were made). If it doesn't fall, it's
still likely to decline rapidly starting at some point in the nest 1
to 10 years.

Fast growing is a good thing

fast growing=dying young=weak and brittle wood, as a general rule.

Keith
Old 30-09-2003, 03:07 AM
J Kolenovsky

Congratulations! This is one of those all around trees (Redbay, Retama)
that look good in the environment and attract wildlife. This tree hosts
Palamedes, Spicebush and Tiger Swallowtail butterflies. You will enjoy
the tree and butterflies for years to come.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...frasalbidum.h=
tm

I'd allow 20 foot centers and plant no deeper than they were in the
container. The tree historically remains a shrub or small tree for a
long time and then the hormones kick in and it goes upwards. (page
174-175, Butterfly Gardening for the South by Geyata Ajilvsgi)

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com, zone 8b-9a

Shell91 wrote:
=

Hi
I will be planting 4 Sarsasparilla trees in my front yard this November=

=2E
They are not very big and I want them to do well. How far appart and h=

ow
deep do I need to plant them? They will be going in a full sun area wh=

ere a
mimosa tree used to be and I will have to dig out the grass and fence t=

he
spot to keep the lawn guys from mowing them down. Also does anyone kno=

w how
well these trees will do in zone 9, southeast Texas?
Thanks for any advice and help
Shell

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP