Old 06-09-2003, 05:16 AM
Larry Harrell

Default Three companies oppose Tongass logging??

(Aozotorp) wrote in message ...
Building companies KB Home and Hayward Lumber, as well as office supply
chain Staples Inc. -- all major consumers of wood products -- have lined up
with environmental groups trying to protect Alaska forests. The three
companies have sent letters to the U.S. Forest Service opposing a proposal that
would exempt Alaska's Tongass and Chugach national forests from a nationwide
prohibition against road building in national forests.

snip

Since when was there a nationwide prohibition on roadbuilding in
National Forests? (Yup, it's gotta be true if it's in the newspaper)
G Another example of the tactics used by "preservationists"
manipulating the media. "Clinton's Folly" gave designated roadless
areas an insignificantly higher level of protection than they already
had had, hence the term "Designated Roadless Area" from before
Clinton. I certainly wouldn't exempt the Alaska National Forests from
controls and conditions concerning new roadbuilding. Any new road must
first serve the land well AND be able to be installed without serious
hydrological problems. We cannot ignore the other big issue of whether
ANY roads SHOULD be built in that particular spot. "Preservationists"
rightly claim that the mere presence of roads significantly affect
wildlife habitats. However, proof is elusive and powerful people still
cling to their religious beliefs concerning our natural world.
Logging, solely to get logs, should be left to the private timber
lands. For the next 20 years, we should be practicing eco-forestry on
our Federal timber lands.

Larry, forest sculptor