Old 06-09-2003, 03:42 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Tomatoes

"Aria" wrote:

Yes, Steve....Tons of flowers...........high temps most of the time. These
tomatoes said that they do best in humidity. We had very dry temps at first,
but then lots and lots of humidity. Very pretty flowers though....We also
grew watermelon that never grew fruit. It also had lots of flowers.

I recall reading a book that recommended in areas with extreme high
temp and harsh sun to lay a piece of trellis on top of your tomato
cage to give them a break from the peak overhead sun. I was surprised
since tomatoes are full sun--but maybe you are in a climate where it
is too intense.

Do you have lots of pollinators visiting the plants?
Although, I've read constantly that a simple shake of the plant is
enough to encourage selfpollination. I shake the tomato cage lightly
once a a week and I've harvested 7 dozen so far from 3 plants (one has
been suffering from wilt since June).

Fertilizing wrong (too much nitrogen not enough phosphorus/potassium)
can screw up the fertility of the plant. I messed up all my corn with
the wrong mix of fertilizer.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener