Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Mike Simpson

Default WOW!!!!

Suggestion......

For "text only" newsgroups such as this one use the *free* news server at news.cis.dfn.de . It's
a server run by the computer center of Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, and it's terrific....
long retention, extremely reliable (IMHO)...*no* binary or porn groups.

Registration details are at....

http://news.individual.net/register.html

ms

"Madgardener" wrote in message
I agree. Yesterday when the young man patiently worked with me, tweeking,
changing, and finally after the upteenth time the message of Outlook Express
cannot connect to server" message came back up, he threw in the towel and
said he'd done as much as he could. (he had, honestly) but the Microsoft
tech support guy wasn't up to my innability to just say short and sweet what
the problem was, (it takes a bit, even for ME to compact messages, and even
this wasn't short enough for him, he got a bit, upset? disgusted?
impatient? g but remembered his Microsoft demenor and policy and ate crow
and helped a little bit......I was the one who threw in the towel and
apparently BELLSOUTH and whoever else was having a problem with their
newsserver. If not that, then why else would Tom be having newsgroup
problems with his AOL?? I'm just happy to see posts that were declared
"expired" that were just hours old or a few days back...............it kinda
unnerves me to see my own post declared expired when I wrote it a mere hour
prior....not that I have much to say, and can you tell I'm in a rut, writing
wise? I will be inspired soon, I know it takes time......(I'm also tired,
and that affects my oral visuality alot)

Thanks for the kind words, Ingrid....
madgardener off to werk.............
wrote in message
more than anything else I really really hate it when the ISP is having the

problem
and they try to put me thru the hoops.
I spent 4 hours on the phone with road runner trying to fix friends

hookup. I had
already swapped out an internet card and reinstalled windows and after 4

hours they
finally said they would call be back, which they didnt. this problem has

been going
on for a month. they finally came out, replaced their damn modem and she

was back on
the net. now her kids net connection went out at the same time (same

quasi rural
area) and the guy came out, did not swap out the modem and told em it was

their
problem (no way!). But since their puter connects to my net just fine, it

simply must
be RR modem that is bad. I think they had a power surge on their end,

knocked out
loads of modems and didnt have replacements so they been screwing around

with people
who they cant replace yet. Otherwise, it just doesnt make any sense at

all. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com