Old 06-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Madgardener

Default WOW!!!!

Short and sweet. worried with the tekkies at Bellsouth yesterday when I
totally lost EVERYTHING, they accidentally hung up on me and I hadda go to
werk. Got home yesterday afternoon and picked up where I had left off. That
didn't work. Called Microsoft and got an irritable person who finally got
intrigued enough to sorta help me but got bare help since it would cost me
$35 to fix and that wasnt a guarantee. Shut the computer off, grumbled but
since it was a nice day, Squire was home, and I hadn't remembered to eat all
day, we went out and had a pleasant evening together. When we got home in
time for a mutually enjoyed television program (ok, Dead like Me.......g)
and once that was over, I decided what the hell. I could sleep in since my
work schedule was upside down and went back and logged onto Outlook Express
and attempted to download the list of newsgroups to subscribe again to
rec.gardens (yesterday it shut down and said unable to connect to server
every time, I was walked thru so much tweeking and manipulating of internal
settings it's a wonder my computer works at all..........) and lo and
behold, Houston, we have ignition!! I am back, and not just partially back,
I am totally back. The missing posts that dissappeared in front of my face
earlier this week are back adn for now, it's really good to see that someone
who didn't want to admit error has temporairly fixed the problem.

Apparently the newsgroup server at BellSouth was the problem, and Bellsouth
was the problem and someone finally got in there and fixed it. Hate I wasted
so much time and changed settings that really might mess me up later....but
not being as computer savvy i am in that position. It's good to be
back..........posts to follow when I get the next days off..........
(outside it's crisp and sunny and the hummingbirds are chasing each other
thru the tangle of my blue Salvia's and stopping to sup from the super sweet
bottle of nectar I made them, the wasps havent discovered it yet)
madgardener up on the ridge, back in fairy holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, sunset zone 36 where it feels like
fall is coming

Old 06-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Roy

Forte Free Agent is just so much nicer and easier to setup and use for
reading USENET newsgroups, it makes Outlook seem like a throw back of
the old DOS days. Best part its freeware and it works extremely well.

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:42:04 -0400, "Madgardener"
wrote:

x-Short and sweet. worried with the tekkies at Bellsouth yesterday when I
x-totally lost EVERYTHING, they accidentally hung up on me and I hadda go to
x-werk. Got home yesterday afternoon and picked up where I had left off. That
x-didn't work. Called Microsoft and got an irritable person who finally got
x-intrigued enough to sorta help me but got bare help since it would cost me
x-$35 to fix and that wasnt a guarantee. Shut the computer off, grumbled but
x-since it was a nice day, Squire was home, and I hadn't remembered to eat all
x-day, we went out and had a pleasant evening together. When we got home in
x-time for a mutually enjoyed television program (ok, Dead like Me.......g)
x-and once that was over, I decided what the hell. I could sleep in since my
x-work schedule was upside down and went back and logged onto Outlook Express
x-and attempted to download the list of newsgroups to subscribe again to
x-rec.gardens (yesterday it shut down and said unable to connect to server
x-every time, I was walked thru so much tweeking and manipulating of internal
x-settings it's a wonder my computer works at all..........) and lo and
x-behold, Houston, we have ignition!! I am back, and not just partially back,
x-I am totally back. The missing posts that dissappeared in front of my face
x-earlier this week are back adn for now, it's really good to see that someone
x-who didn't want to admit error has temporairly fixed the problem.
x-
x-Apparently the newsgroup server at BellSouth was the problem, and Bellsouth
x-was the problem and someone finally got in there and fixed it. Hate I wasted
x-so much time and changed settings that really might mess me up later....but
x-not being as computer savvy i am in that position. It's good to be
x-back..........posts to follow when I get the next days off..........
x-(outside it's crisp and sunny and the hummingbirds are chasing each other
x-thru the tangle of my blue Salvia's and stopping to sup from the super sweet
x-bottle of nectar I made them, the wasps havent discovered it yet)
x-madgardener up on the ridge, back in fairy holler, overlooking English
x-Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, sunset zone 36 where it feels like
x-fall is coming
x-

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Old 06-09-2003, 03:32 PM

more than anything else I really really hate it when the ISP is having the problem
and they try to put me thru the hoops.
I spent 4 hours on the phone with road runner trying to fix friends hookup. I had
already swapped out an internet card and reinstalled windows and after 4 hours they
finally said they would call be back, which they didnt. this problem has been going
on for a month. they finally came out, replaced their damn modem and she was back on
the net. now her kids net connection went out at the same time (same quasi rural
area) and the guy came out, did not swap out the modem and told em it was their
problem (no way!). But since their puter connects to my net just fine, it simply must
be RR modem that is bad. I think they had a power surge on their end, knocked out
loads of modems and didnt have replacements so they been screwing around with people
who they cant replace yet. Otherwise, it just doesnt make any sense at all. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Madgardener

I agree. Yesterday when the young man patiently worked with me, tweeking,
changing, and finally after the upteenth time the message of Outlook Express
cannot connect to server" message came back up, he threw in the towel and
said he'd done as much as he could. (he had, honestly) but the Microsoft
tech support guy wasn't up to my innability to just say short and sweet what
the problem was, (it takes a bit, even for ME to compact messages, and even
this wasn't short enough for him, he got a bit, upset? disgusted?
impatient? g but remembered his Microsoft demenor and policy and ate crow
and helped a little bit......I was the one who threw in the towel and
apparently BELLSOUTH and whoever else was having a problem with their
newsserver. If not that, then why else would Tom be having newsgroup
problems with his AOL?? I'm just happy to see posts that were declared
"expired" that were just hours old or a few days back...............it kinda
unnerves me to see my own post declared expired when I wrote it a mere hour
prior....not that I have much to say, and can you tell I'm in a rut, writing
wise? I will be inspired soon, I know it takes time......(I'm also tired,
and that affects my oral visuality alot)

Thanks for the kind words, Ingrid....
madgardener off to werk.............
wrote in message
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 06-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:50:07 GMT, Roy wrote:

Forte Free Agent is just so much nicer and easier to setup and use for
reading USENET newsgroups, it makes Outlook seem like a throw back of
the old DOS days. Best part its freeware and it works extremely well.

Let me second Roy on this, Agent and Free Agent are very easy to use
and nearly idiot proof.( I like that in software!) I use the paid
version of Agent for it's additional functionality but used Free Agent
for years quite happily.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Good luck!

Dave
Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern

Old 06-09-2003, 08:02 PM
dementia13

In article ,
"Madgardener" wrote:

Short and sweet. worried with the tekkies at Bellsouth yesterday when I
totally lost EVERYTHING,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. As a "tekkie" at Bell South, I can
tell you from experience that it's likely not so much that they wouldn't
admit that there was a problem, but almost certainly that they just
weren't aware. The advantage of our size is that we can afford to put in
good systems and keep good personnel, but the disadvantage is that we
become very compartmentalized. No field tech or phone support guy has
access to, or even access to someone who has access to, anybody who
works on the servers. So, it sometimes takes for enough people to report
a problem before it gets to the right person. Again, sorry, and I'm glad
it's working now.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Mike Simpson

Suggestion......

For "text only" newsgroups such as this one use the *free* news server at news.cis.dfn.de . It's
a server run by the computer center of Freie Universität Berlin, Germany, and it's terrific....
long retention, extremely reliable (IMHO)...*no* binary or porn groups.

Registration details are at....

http://news.individual.net/register.html

ms

wrote in message
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Madgardener

I still stand by you guys because you are persistant and nice and most
always polite, not to mention very very patient with my problems which
sometimes aren't readily fixable. That's why I haven't changed my
provider.........g madgardener (don't apologize honey for something you
didn't have anything to do with. I usually find the problems and report back
to YOU guys!! I just wish more of ya'll were more informed. I have seen in
the last year exactly what you're speaking of by being
compartmentalized.......when I discoverd last year that someone had hacked
thru your security firewall into the whole system, I told ya'll about it and
alot were not aware of it. I was thanked for my feedback information which
turned out to be sadly true. Eventually things were put back to normal, but
inner office communication is paramount to make things run efficiently. I
disagree with Bill Maur that computer internet is just
typing................I have discovered lifetime true friends on this
newsgroup and it has provided me with an inexpensive ability to connect with
like minded people when I am in ways cut off from "normal" contact other
than work and basic interaction during errand times and such.

I am not reclusive, nor am I xenophobic or even antisocial. I am a city girl
living in a fast growing rural setting now for the last 11 years and before
that, I had plenty of "friends" and contact on more than regular
interactions. (I called it partying and gathers). I miss that even now as I
am not prone to go to church (don't feel the need to sit and listen about
the stories I heard as a child, I heard them, enjoyed them but don't need to
make them a major part of my life as I know I am a good person wheather or
not I attend the gatherings or not). I also don't need to be preached to.
Or reminded that I am basically a sinner and that someone has died for all
my sins. That is but one opinion that I respect but don't inflict on others.
Live and let live and go about my day making people smile is mostly what I
maintain.

That is as close to talking about religion as I will get off topic here. I
just mean that the garden newsgroup has connected me with an amazing
assortment of gardeners and friends that will last probably as long as we
are able to keep communication in some form or other. I call a few of my
chatroom friends and some come by and visit me and the friendship is sealed
even more afterwards. (I haven't scared off but two people, and one is
raising alpaca's and llama's in North Carolina and I don't think she has
enough time to internet as I don't see her posts anymore, so I don't feel
I've scared her off as much as she has gotten quite an active and busy life
and doesn't have time to just "sit" and write on the newsgroup or keep touch
with just little ol' me g). There is life outside the internet......

Along the way we lose some people and gain others in their wake. When I
moved over here, I lost quite a few of the friends I had made when I lived
in a neighborhood with more outlets for gathering and interacting. I'm just
grateful since I am in a rural situation that I can visit adn chat with
people about gardening and various other things because of my internet that
I am provided by BellSouth. My husband (whom Atilla the Pun aka Dick Krape
nicknamed 6 1/2 years ago as Squire) tried MSN and it wasn't nearly as
efficient and dependable as BellSouth is. He also used ATT internet, and
found the same problems.

I hope you're gardening is still going well. And I look forward to hearing
what you grow sometime as I'm always interested in other people's gardens.
I'm not self centered in my love for this pass time. Thanks for the
feedback, and keep in touch if you wanna........good people are hard to find
sometimes but I've discovered that gardeners are pretty good people worthy
of lasting and long friendships beyond the screens on their monitors.

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy holler, where the morning is
crisp and cool and fall like, the figs are ripening nicely in 6-9 amounts (a
good handful) for a sweet morning snack, the hummingbirds are chirping and
straffing me as I walk outside along the shared driveway, to go out the gate
towards the west to look at a blue English Mountain, in Eastern Tennessee
and know all is pretty good at the moment, here in zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Madgardener

well actually gardening IS my religion. I commune with nature all the time
when I'm out there, or even tending to the many
houseplants............(cacti, tropicals........etc)
madgardener

"Madgardener" wrote:
That is as close to talking about religion as I will get off topic here.

just mean that the garden newsgroup has connected me with an amazing
assortment of gardeners and friends that will last probably as long as we
are able to keep communication in some form or other.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

Wow. Just WOW. Lilly Ponds 17 24-07-2005 06:17 PM
secret to filling the WOW Tomatolord North Carolina 0 03-06-2003 04:20 PM
wow.. clear water finally! linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 08-05-2003 02:20 AM
Wow - Blue Pleco? DWS Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-05-2003 04:21 AM
Wow will Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM